 |
| my October wee calendar |
Hello hello! I feel like I have been neglecting the seven of you, so I am eager to get back to a regular posting schedule on Thursday and Sunday. We'll see how it goes. I kinda want to write a recap of July, August, and September, but tonight I already have three things I want to tell you about, so let's go!
 |
| Harley before the enzymes |
1. Harley. My sweet lab has been having medical issues. In January of 2025, she weighted around 82 lbs, and in September 2026, she weighed 52 lbs and was losing her hair. I took her to the vet we've taken all our dogs to since we moved to this house about 24 years ago, but the practice has changed hands and I don't think we have been getting the quality of care we used to get there. When I couldn't get a satisfactory explanation, I decided to see a different vet. I'm so glad I did! The new vet, Dr. B, has many, many years of experience and he practically diagnosed Harley just by looking at her, then confirmed his diagnosis with blood tests. Harley's pancreas is not working properly; it isn't absorbing all the nutrients in her food. He recommended giving her pancreatic digestive enzymes and told me about a website where I could purchase the product that he has been recommending for 30 years. Harley has been taking the enzymes since 28 September, and I'm happy to tell you that she is doing very well. The hair has already grown back on her feet and the tops of her ears. Soft little hairs are growing on her ribcage, and other areas where the skin was peeking through are filling in, too. Above all, she is so perky and a little feisty, more like the dog we adopted five years ago. She is running after the other dogs in the yard, she is wrestling with Mac again, and there is a mischievous sparkle in her eye that has been missing for awhile. I'll take her back to see Dr. B at the end of November to see if she has gained any weight. I think she has gained some because her ribs and spine are not as evident. I am glad I got a second opinion, and probably a new vet for the other two doggos, too.
 |
| book haul |
2. Book haul! Mom and Lizzie came to visit at the end of September and we visited many independent bookshops. I bought five books from the six shops we visited (I didn't buy anything at Sam Weller, but I bought two from Folklore.) I'm usually way too cheap to buy books, but I got caught up in the spirit of supporting local businesses. Plus, three of the shops we visited are woman-owned, so that was a bonus! A quick run down of what and where:
There are a couple of other books in the pile that I bought before Mom and Lizzie came: The Witches of Cambridge by Alice Hoffman and The Pirate Queen by Ariel Lawhon. Not pictured is Our Strange Duet by Erin A. Craig because I was reading it. I got all of those at The King's English, too.
Also, the menfolk and I went to Barnes and Noble on Sunday, and I got a book there, too: The Bright Years by Sarah Damoff.
I always have trouble deciding what to read next, so my plan is to wrap each book in my TBR pile in pretty paper, like a little gift, give each of them a number after they are wrapped, then have someone pick a number for me when I'm ready to read the next book. I'll be wrapping soon, and I'll show you when it's done. I know it's silly, but it's fun, too. I did choose to start reading The Witches of Cambridge because spooky season.
3 Midway, Utah! Oh my everloving hell, how is it I haven't been to Midway in all the years I have lived in Utah? I have passed by it a time or two, but I haven't gone into the town before. I have been depriving myself of the cutest Hallmark movie town. I'm in love with it. Every little shop we went in was great, especially
The Dainty Pear and the aforementioned Folklore. These two shops are dreamy. If you are a woman who is into the fantasy of having a little shop, like a bookstore or a fancy gift shop with a French cafe attached, these two places will enthrall you.
Oh yeah, and it's beautiful up there in Midway, too. The town is tucked back in the foothills near
Soldier Hollow. The day we were there, the fall foliage was near or at peak and the mountains were bursting with red, yellow, and orange leaves. The temperature was in the mid-70s, and it was fantastic. I am already looking forward to going back there. The Dainty Pear is having a Christmas market in mid-November and I am planning to go!
I sort of think the day-trip to Midway was the best thing Mom, Lizzie, and I did while they were here, even though every day was pretty great. Sounds like I already have my Sunday post topic!
xo
No comments:
Post a Comment