Sunday, July 7, 2013

#968 Andy Murray wins!

I watch a lot of sports. I love the competition and the glimpses of greatness. I got to see that competition and greatness this morning while I watched the gentleman's final at Wimbledon.

Novak Djokovic was playing against Andy Murray for the title. I'm a Djokovic fan (if Rafael Nadal isn't playing), but I just had a feeling that it was Murray's time this morning. There was so much riding on Murray's shoulders with this match. I remember last year when Roger Federer (hiss) beat Andy in the Wimbledon final and Andy cried. Then he went on to win the gold medal at the Olympics and the US Open. With Federer and Nadal out of the tournament this year, it almost felt like destiny that Murray would return to the final. But Djokovic is good. It wouldn't be easy.

Well, Murray won the final in straight sets and although it wasn't easy, a straight set victory is pretty decisive.

It's been 77 years since a British man won Wimbledon. On those last points, you could almost feel the entire UK holding their breath via ESPN. Sometimes on a close ball, the crowd would start cheering or groaning (unheard of!) even though the point wasn't over.

To watch the joy and disbelief on Andy Murray's face after that last point was great. To see his mother burst into tears and turn to the man next to her, covering her face while her shoulders shook as she sobbed with relief and joy and all of those emotions. To see Andy run over to his players box and embrace his team - his coach, his trainer, his girlfriend and his mom (although he almost forgot about her and had to go back!) - I loved it. To watch the crowds go wild when Murray lifted the trophy; to see the security detail pat Murray on the back as he made his victory lap around Centre Court; to see Murray continually cover his eyes and run his hands through his hair as if he still couldn't believe that he had actually won the title at Wimbledon...that's what I love about sports.

I will never get to experience the thrill of hoisting a major championship trophy over my head, of course. Watching someone else do it gives me a vicarious thrill of victory. That's good enough for me :)

Congrats Andy Murray!
http://news.sky.com/story/1112657/andy-murray-wins-wimbledon-title 

No comments: