Wednesday, July 10, 2013

#971 what a difference a year makes

I took the morning off from work today. I was putting T on the plane to go visit my parents, so I figured instead to going to work, then running home and making sure T was ready and getting him to the airport and scurrying about willy-nilly, I thought it would be nice to be relaxed and take it easy. Plus, I've been working a lot of hours and a little slow time would be ok.

You would think that I would sleep in, right? Not so much. I was up at 5 AM, but moving a little slowly. I thought it would be nice to go to the gym and get a little blood flowing through the body. I was over there by 6AM. The temperature was around 70 degrees; the sun hadn't yet come up from behind the mountains, but it wasn't dark. I decided to walk around the track outside the building.

I had to dodge some sprinklers, but other than that, it was very pleasant. I was listening to music and walking at a good pace and I felt great. I made it around the trace once (one mile) and felt so good I decided to do it again!

While I was walking that second mile, I remembered back to this time last year. I couldn't even walk one mile because of the pain in my right knee. It was about this time last year that I finally made an appointment with a knee surgeon to find out about replacing my knee joint. Now here I am, nearly 11 months later, and I am so glad that I had the surgery. I really couldn't imagine still limping around on that bad knee.

If you're wondering about my left knee, I'll tell you that it bothers me sometimes. I mostly haven't reached the pain levels I had in the right knee yet, although sometimes it's pretty close, but the pain doesn't last as long. I will get the left knee joint replaced eventually, but I'm not in a big hurry to do so. Definitely not this year. I may ask Dr. F to give me an injection in the left knee (if I feel like I really need it) when I see him next month for my one year follow-up, but mostly I feel pretty good.

All in all, I really enjoyed my morning off. I might have to do that again :)

No comments: