Thursday, July 11, 2013

#972 thoughts on a funeral

Today MT and I attended the funeral of MT's Aunt Gerri.  She was a very sweet lady and will be missed by all of her family. All of the people who spoke about her during the service talked about her kindness and selflessness and her lovely smile. Surprisingly, I didn't cry, although I did tear up at least once.

MT and I went out for dinner tonight when we got home and we were talking about the service and the family and everything. We talked about what people said about Aunt Gerri and MT wondered what people would say about him at his memorial service.

It made me think about what I would say about MT and what I would hope would be said about me.

Makes you think for a minute, doesn't it?

In a side note...when we were gathered in the "family room" a man who is the head guy of the church came around and introduced himself to the family. Wait, I take that back. He introduced himself to the male members of the family. Sitting in front of me was Patrick, and President Evans walked up to Patrick and introduced himself and started talking about his relationship with Aunt Gerri.

Evans:  "I became your president about a year and a half ago."
Patrick:  "My president? I don't think..."
Evans: "Oh, I mean president of this ward. That's when I got to know Sister Gerri."
Patrick: "Ok, because you're not actually my president."

I had to smile at the exchange. Then President Evans looked at me briefly, then turned to MT and started talking to him. Then Evans looked at Linda, turned away to Steve sitting across the aisle and started chatting with him.

Wow! Linda turned to me and asked if I noticed that Evans hadn't spoken to any of the women. I had noticed. I wasn't surprised, but I didn't like it.

Anyway...

After the service, we went back to the church for lunch which did in fact include funeral potatoes. They were yummy.

Now we're home and it's Thursday night which means tomorrow is Friday and I have to go back to work. That will be weird because today did not feel like a Thursday. One the other hand, there's only one day to work AND I'm going to get my hair trimmed and that's fun :)

See you tomorrow!

1 comment:

emtes said...

Sorry to hear about the funeral but I do have two questions.
What is President? I only know of one in the US and that is Obama.
What is this person president of?
And what is funeral potatoes?
I have never heard of it.
In Sweden we almost always have a reception after the funeral and then we serve "smörgåstårta" that is sandwich cake and "prinsesstårta" Princess cake.
And that is what we had after Mom's funderal.
Take care and a big hug to you
from aunt Mia :-)
(I saw the photos of Tristan in La Mirada. He's so grown up!)