Tuesday, July 30, 2013

#988 new music for me

I gave myself the gift of music this weekend, then I downloaded some of the new tunes onto a disc that I can listen to in my car. (No, I don't have a USB port in my car that I can plug my iPod into. Maybe in the next car.)

My playlist/CD:

Started from the Bottom - Drake 
  This is totally T's influence. He loves Drake, and I actually got this track by home-sharing off T's library. I like the beat, I like the flow. I like it.

Give It 2 U - Robin Thicke featuring Kendrick Lamar
  A super funky beat with Rob's Timberlake-like voice and Kendrick Lamar with a catchy verse. Musical magic. I also home-shared this track from T's library.

My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark - Fall Out Boy
  Another home-share. I love this song! I ride to it in some of my cycling classes. It's got a bit of 80's hairband vibe in the chorus (I'm on fiiiiiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaa)

Treasure - Bruno Mars
  Man! I love me some Bruno Mars!! Did I mention that T and I will be seeing Bruno in concert on Friday night? Really, really excited to get down with some funky beats :) This song reminds me of some Earth Wind & Fire. I totally dig it! (And yes, also a home-share. That kid's got way too much iTunes money to spend! Good for me, I guess.)

Money Make Her Smile - Bruno Mars
  This is a cool track. I have it on by Biking playlist that I listen to when I ride my bike (of course). I like the slow, steady beat. He's so great.

Natalie - Bruno Mars
  Natalie/She ran away with all my money/And she did it for fun
  Natalie/If you see her tell her I'm comin'/She better run
Did I mention that I love him? Even when he's being a little scary, he's awesome.

Blurred Lines - Robin Thicke featuring T.I. and Pharrell
  I actually bought this one myself. I cannot resist this song; it makes me want to wriggle all around and sing the Pharrell parts. I think Pharrell is fantastic.

Get Lucky - Daft Punk featuring Pharrell
  Another groovy Pharrell beat. This is such a catchy little tune.

Island Song - Zac Brown Band
  Yeah, this mix CD is all over the place. I really enjoy the reggae-flavored songs by ZBB.
If you really wanna go/where you can find me/
I'll be unwinding/Down in the islands/Down in the islands

The Phoenix - Fall Out Boy
  This song just rocks.

F**in' Problems - A$AP Rocky featuring Drake, 2Chains & Kendrick Lamar
  Ok, I'll admit it. This song is my guilty pleasure. It is full of foul language and the n-word (which I have changed to frogger when I'm rapping along in my car). I can barely understand what A$AP says in his verse, but I'm pretty good at the Drake verse and good on some parts of the Kendrick Lamar verse. This song is best listened to at a high volume so the windows in the car sort of vibrate. I'm such a thug! ;) Oh, yeah, this is a home-share from T.

Thin Line - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis featuring Buffalo Madonna
  This is one of the first Macklemore songs I learned. It's pretty mellow and only mildly explicit (compared to F**in' Problems, way mild!)

History of Rap  - Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake
  Listening to this performance is fun, but not nearly as fun as watching the video of the performance

You Need Me, I Don't Need You - Ed Sheeran
   I still really like this ginger Brit. T and I liked this song when he performed it in concert, and I like the recorded version a lot, too. He raps.
They say I'm up and coming like I'm f**king on an elevator
Oh Ed! You big silly!

Stay Stay Stay - Taylor Swift
  I can't help myself. I like her and I haven't heard this song 10,000 times on the radio.

Scream - Usher
  This song is kind of old, but I love to sing it in my car.

Chicken Fried - Zac Brown Band
You know I like my chicken fried
Cold beer on a Friday night
A pair of jeans that fit just right
And the radio on
  I just want to hang out with Zac. He seems like a cool guy.

Knee Deep - Zac Brown Band featuring Jimmy Buffett
  This is my very most favorite song. It perfectly captures a vacation vibe for me. The first time I really listened to the words, I got tear-y. 
Wishin' I was
Knee deep in the water somewhere
Got the blue sky breeze and blowin' wind through my hair
Only worry in the world is the water gonna reach my chair
Sunrise there's a fire in the sky
Never felt so happy never been so high
And I think I might have found me
My own kind of paradise.

The Boys of Summer - The Ataris
  Although I like this cover quite a lot, I really love the original version by Don Henley. I chose this one because it's more rockin' and it's what I wanted.

White Walls - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis featuring Schoolboy Q and Hollis
  Oh Macklemore! You're so wonderful. I love this song! It's about Macklemore's love of his Cadillac. The hook is great and here's my favorite part of the song:
Man, I'm loungin'
In some shit Bernie Mack would have been proud of
Lookin' down from heaven like, "Man, that's stylish!"
Smilin' don't pay attention to the mileage
And Schoolboy Q's rap is really good.

So that's my CD of songs that I had or got from T. I also bought myself a new CD by Kenny Chesney. I don't know that I've ever even heard a Kenny Chesney song before, but I saw the CD Life on a Rock in Target and just the titles of the songs made me want to listen: Pirate Flag, Coconut Tree (with Willie Nelson!), Marley, Spread the Love (with The Wailers!), When I See this Bar. I've heard that Kenny Chesney loves the islands and the photos on the cover of the CD reminded me of vacation, so I took a chance and bought the CD on iTunes. I've listened to it once all the way through, and I liked all of the songs. I'm excited to hear them all again. I don't know if I'll buy any other Kenny Chesney CDs; maybe I will, maybe I won't, but he seems like a pretty cool guy and I like what he did on this CD.






No comments: