Sunday, August 4, 2013

#991 planning ahead - cooking in bulk

I bought myself a new cookbook yesterday. I haven't made anything from it yet, but I'm looking forward to trying it out. I learned about the cookbook while I was browsing Pinterest last weekend. There was a pin about a woman who buys and cooks in bulk, then freezes the meals she cook. In one day, this woman made 46 meals. Holy cow! That's a lot of cooking. Most of her blog post was about how she bought cheap meat (meat that was on sale at the market) and then cooked it up or prepared it for cooking later by adding a marinade to it and freezing it.

Sometimes I find it hard to come up with things to make every night. I was thinking about how nice it would be to just pull something out of the freezer that was at least partially prepared already to cut down on the planning, prepping and cooking time. The lady in the pin/blog said that she got a lot of her recipes from the cookbook Don't Panic, Dinner's in the Freezer, so that's the cookbook I bought.

I've spent some time looking through the recipes, and they look tasty, have regular ingredients and look pretty simple to prepare. The thing is that I'll have to change my grocery shopping day to Saturday so that I can do the cooking on Sunday. I think maybe next Sunday I'll cook some chicken that I can shred to have on hand for different things. I would also like to make the breakfast burrito recipe because sometimes it's hard to have the time to cook breakfast in the morning. If I have a burrito that I can just throw in the microwave, that would be pretty cool. I like breakfast burritos.

I'll let you know how it goes!

No comments: