Thursday, May 31, 2018

#2050 three things: LEGOs, zingers and straws


1. Nature Connects at Red Butte Garden. Today I had the opportunity to take a guided tour of the Nature Connects exhibit that is opening on June 2 and staying through September 16 at the garden. There are 14 LEGO creations on display and they are all truly fantastic. I like the way the creations have been set up in different areas so they look like they belong there. RBG has planned several events to coincide with the exhibit. It's going to be a fun summer up there!

2. Zing! I have had an active exercise week. It started on Monday morning when I did a back-to-back workout of Strong and then Zumba. Between the two classes, it was just over 100 minutes of sweatiness. The Strong class made me sore. I work out pretty regularly, and I've taken Strong classes many times, but for some reason Monday's class totally wiped me out. I mean, I felt good at the time, but Monday night my legs, bum and back were tight and sore. On Tuesday I went to Zumba to try to work out the soreness. That helped. On Wednesday I went to Strong (different teacher). I felt ok, then during the warmup - THE WARMUP! - I felt a zing just under my right bum cheek. I actually reached back, grabbed my bum and shrieked a little. I made it through the class, but I was on a little slower speed than the rest of the group. I'm good now, but, wow. that was not fun.

3. No more straws. I drink a lot of water and I typically drink it from a 24 oz tumbler through a disposable single-use straw. I buy the straws from the grocery store and I use two or three straws a day. A few weeks ago I heard a story about how the U.K. was going to ban single-use straws because of the terrible island of plastic that is floating in the ocean. I decided I would try to drink water without a straw, but I found I wasn't drinking as much water if I didn't have a straw, so I went back to straws.
Today I heard a story on NPR that has made me vow to give up disposable straws forever.  They were talking about companies that are no longer going to provide plastic straws. They go on to talk about a sea turtle that had a plastic straw up its nose. (Here's a story about it from National Geographic.)

I have an affinity for turtles. I cannot bear to think that something I use could harm of my favorite animals, even though I don't live anywhere near an ocean. Hearing about the turtle with the straw in his nose made me immediately get on Amazon.com to buy reusable silicone straws (they will be here Saturday). When I go to McDonalds for my Diet Coke, I am going to start giving the straw back to them. I will bring my own straw from now on. I can't/won't be responsible to turtles with straws in their noses. 

That's all I got tonight! Talk to you Saturday! Hope y'all had a great May!


No comments: