Sunday, July 21, 2024

#2909 Park City weekend

Last weekend (July 13 and 14), I was in Park City for our inaugural Park City weekend. I actually don't know if it will be a yearly thing, but it could be. Park City is only about 30 minutes from our house, but it feels like a different world. Why? It's in the mountains, so the air is cooler, usually by at least 10 degrees in the summer, the air is clearer, and it's touristic. Main Street is pretty charming. Regular people live in Park City, but it's kinda bougie up there. 

We got up there around 11pm on Friday night. Marty's brother Kevin and his wife Janet joined us. We rented a two bedroom, two bath condo from Moose Management, a local vacation rental company. (Marty has done work for the owners of the company.) The condo was in the Snyderville area which is just off the I-80 freeway and about 10 minutes or so from Park City proper. We were very close to the outlet malls and could easily see the Olympic ski jump venue. 

The condo was nice enough: a ground floor unit with a little patio where we stored our bicycles. There was also a grill on the patio. The condos had tennis courts and a swimming pool, neither of which we used. The bed was quite comfortable, and I liked the place just fine except it felt kind of cave-ish. Apartments, amIright?

On Saturday we all slept in a little, then headed over to the Redstone complex to get breakfast and to pick up some groceries. After that, we went back to the condo and had what I called a chat and chill session, which was nice. In the afternoon, we went to the outlet mall for some retail therapy. I bought a couple of things at Eddie Bauer, some shoes at the Skechers store, and a pair of linen pants at Old Navy that I pretty much want to wear every day.

That night, we went to Deer Valley to see Jason Isbell in concert. He was fantastic, as usual. I'd never been to the Deer Valley Amphitheater, and it is nice. You bring in your chairs and your food. You have to buy alcoholic drinks there, which is a bummer. We sat near the top of the venue, so we couldn't see the band at all, but there were two big screens, so that was nice. The scenery was nice.

a bit overcast on Saturday night

Janet, Kevin, me, and MT

On Sunday, I woke up not feeling great. My allergies were in high gear, and I was sneezing and coughing a lot. My eyes were itchy and watery. The other three people went for a bike ride, but I chose to stay at the condo where I spent time painting, writing, and reading. I do like to ride my bike, but I just had no energy that day. They had fun, though.

In the afternoon we went into Park City and had lunch at The Spur, then walked around a little so Janet could get some souvenirs. You better believe I found a cute sticker!

In the evening, we went back to Deer Valley, this time to see Ziggy Marley. That was a fun show! He isn't much of a talker, but he played and sang for a couple hours. Most folks stood up and danced through the whole show. The day was much more clear and warm. I had a couple of glasses of crappy wine, but the music was great. Mother Nature treated us to a pretty sunset.

we are adorable

Thank you, Mother Nature!

We spent Sunday night at the condo, then MT and I got up early to head down the mountain back to the valley so we could go to work. I was lucky to be working from home that day, and I logged on by 8am. The dogs were happy to see us! (And maybe T, too?) 

I'm glad we got to spend the weekend with Kevin and Janet. I'm always happy to get away with MT when we can. Good times!


No comments: