Sunday, August 4, 2024

#2910 let's catch up

Hello!

The last time I wrote was on the 21 July, and I wrote about what happened the previous weekend, 13 and 14 July.  The week from 15 - 21 July was hot and full of work. I did get a fresh, shorter hair cut, and I am happy with it! I don't like to spend much time fussing with my hair and having it short is very easy. I just let the curls do what they want, and it feels good. Here's are before and after pics:




On the evening of 23 July, I hopped on a flight to Long Beach to spend a few days with Mamacita and Lizzie! It was nice to get out of Salt Lake during the 24th of July which is a state holiday known as Pioneer Day. There is a huge parade downtown and cacophonous firework displays all over the valley. I was also glad to take a little break from work. I've been working a lot, as everyone in the office has, and the break just felt really good. My objectives during the visit were to rest, read, write, chat, and make plans for our trip to Italy in October. I feel confident that all objectives were achieved! We also went out to restaurants that were new to me, and each of them was great. One of them, Belmont Brewing Co., is right on the beach in Long Beach, so I got to hear and see the ocean. I didn't dip my toes, and I'm okay with that. Even hearing the waves and feeling that breeze soothes my soul. I was happy to be there.

I got home on Sunday night. MT went backpacking over the weekend and had returned home earlier that day, so he was eager to talk about his hiking adventures. He is enjoying semi-retirement, and is hiking and walking a lot more now that he is cutting back his work hours. He seems happy, and I'm happy for him.

This past week, I was supposed to volunteer at the Pat Benatar concert, but she cancelled. You know, she is 71 years old. Voices age. Guitarists seem to get better with age, but vocalists struggle, I think. The air here is so dry and smoky, too, that I totally don't blame Pat for calling it off. It didn't hurt my feelings at all, although I would have liked to hear her.  I only worked on one concert in July - Lyle Lovett. I was also okay with having limited concert time because it was bloody hot. Have I mentioned that? In fact, it was so hot before the Lyle Lovett show, that I saw a couple of people pass out waiting in line. Thankfully, medics were onsite, and the people were helped quickly. 

Basically, last week felt like work-sleep-eat. The first of the month is always kind of like that. July seemed manageable, though. Maybe I'm getting the hang of my new assignment?

For the next couple of weeks, T and I are on our own as MT has gone to Missouri to work on the rental property we have there. His brother Kelly went with him. Individually, both MT and Kelly are formidable contractors; together, they are freaking awesome. They worked together on one of the properties here in town, and it was beautiful when they finished. They push each other. I'm glad that Kelly went with MT. It is a long drive, and it will be good for MT to have his brother with him. 

What's ahead this week? Well, I have two concerts at RBG. I'll be volunteering at the Stray Cats show on Monday, and on Sunday, I have tickets to see one of my favorites, Gary Clark Jr. MT was supposed to go with me, but he's not here. I will ask T if he wants to come, but he probably won't. Fun fact - I'll be volunteering at five shows in August: Stray Cats, OAR with Fitz and the Tantrums (my prediction for favorite show of the summer), Beach Boys (!!), Pink Martini, and Lukas Nelson. In addition, I have my regular gigs of bloom recording and courtyard docent every week. It's a lot, but I love it. 

Last but not least, here is the art I made for August:

the wee calendar

Overall, I like it.. The pen I used to draw it is what Jill the Artist call a "bleeding pen" in that when it's hit with water, the ink smears and darkens the paint. I knew it would happen, but it came out a bit darker than I wanted. I might try it again in my sketchbook with a different pen and different colors. If I do, I'll post a pic.

August zine

Saw it on Pinterest, thought I could do it. I think it's cute. 

Notice a theme in the August art? I'm nuts about the little birdies that feed in my backyard!  Maybe a fountain and a birdhouse will be my next yard additions?

Gotta go feed the doggos. Have a great week! Stay cool!


No comments: