Tuesday, July 24, 2012

#733 the Yes game

Today is a state holiday here in Utah, and I was happy to be home to chill out. I did get up fairly early this morning, compared to what time I went to bed last night after our flight in from Long Beach. I took Osi to the groomer and then I took a little walk. It was just a mile, but it took a long time because it seemed like I was just dragging my right leg along. I'm having a lot of pain and swelling in that right knee. I'm really looking forward to going to the doctor on Friday.

Even so, it was a nice day and I thought it would be good to take a little bike ride. When I got home from my walk, I asked MT if he wanted to go for a bike ride. He said, "No." I asked why not and he said, "Because I don't want to."

Have you ever seen the movie "Yes Man"? It's a Jim Carrey movie and he has this habit of saying no to everything. He attends this seminar thing and he vows to start saying yes to everything and hilarity ensues. The lesson learned in the movie is that sometimes when you say yes and you leave your comfort zone, good and fun things will happen. Yes, it's true, sometimes saying yes isn't the right response, but a lot of times, you will be happier if you say yes.

With that in mind, I then said to MT, "Let's play a game! You say something you want to do and I will say yes. Then I'll say something I want to do and you will say yes."

He was almost in, but then he said, "No, because I don't want to go for a bike ride."

I was sad and felt lonely. I came upstairs and played Solitaire on my computer. (Nice simile, right? Or is it a metaphor? I always got those two confused.)

About an hour later (yes, I have a tremendous capacity for wasting time on my computer with stupid games), MT came upstairs and said, "Fine. Let's go for a bike ride."

I told him that I didn't want to go anymore, but I really did, so we went. He rode a bike that is OLD and doesn't really have good gears or something. We did ride about six miles round trip. I went slow. It was a very mellow ride.


What MT wanted to do that I had to say yes to was to look through our vacation photos from the past couple of years and pick some that we want to enlarge and hang up on our walls. That was fun. We picked photos from this year's trip to Belize, last year's trip to the Dominican Republic and the 2010 trip to Palm Island. I think we picked over 60 photos. Tomorrow, MT will go to Walgreen's and have them printed in 5x7 probably, then we'll pick from those to further enlarge and/or hang up at the 5x7 size.

And now it's already 9:30 PM. The day has flown by. There are fireworks going off all around because of the Pioneer Day holiday. I think I'm going to finish the book I started yesterday and go to sleep. Gotta go back to work tomorrow. Hooray for the short work week!

No comments: