Monday, June 22, 2015

#1460 aloha!

We are back from our vacation in the Hawaiian islands. We visited two of the islands: Oahu and Hawaii, the Big Island. I will have several stories and a bunch of photos to show you over the next several posts, but nothing tonight. I haven't even downloaded the photos off my camera!

We got back home yesterday (Sunday). What a crazy return trip! The trip over to Honolulu wasn't bad at all. We left Salt Lake at noon and arrived on Oahu at 2:30 in the afternoon. No, it's not a two and a half hour flight. Hawaii is four hours behind us and it was a six hour flight :) Even though it was early in the day there, our bodies felt like it was 6:30 in the evening. We were walking down Waikiki Beach around 9PM local time which was 1AM our time. We were all dragging. The good thing is that we got to bed fairly early and were able to wake up early to go to Pearl Harbor. But I'll save that story for another day.

The return trip to the mainland was much more uncomfortable. We left Kona on Saturday night at 9:30PM and flew overnight to LAX where we arrived at 5:30AM local time (that's 2:30AM Hawaii time that my body was now accustomed to.) I was able to snooze most of the five and a half hour flight, so I was able to stay awake and functioning through the four hour layover we had. Our flight from LA to SLC left at 10:30AM, and we arrived in SLC around 2PM or so. I slept for that whole flight. In fact, I was asleep before the plane even left the ground!

I felt bad for the Idaho family. They drove directly back to Pocatello from the airport - a three hour drive.

Yes, I know it's nothing like flying to Europe, but it was tough. Travel days are always the worst :) At least there is a travel day!

When we got home, MT napped most of the day (I wonder how he slept last night?) I took a little nap on the couch - I knew I'd be way too comfy in my bed. I slept well last night and felt good this morning.

Osi was glad to see me when I picked her up. She did have a seizure last night. I expected that.

T was glad to be back with his friends. He went to see them almost the minute we walked through the door!

Today it was back to work for both MT and I. I didn't mind. I work so I can go on fun trips. I knew there would be lots for me to do in the office and there was and still is. I will be working long hours this week, but it's ok.

The most frequently asked question I had today, of course, was "How was your vacation?" or "How was Hawaii?" My reply: "It was fine." Honestly, I didn't fall in love with Hawaii. I liked it and I had fun and I'm glad we went, but I'm in no hurry to go back.  I'll tell you more about those things in the upcoming posts.

No comments: