Friday, November 17, 2017

#1962 remembering NOLA

In my last post I mentioned that this time last year, my sister and I were in New Orleans. I really had fun on that trip and I have a lot of good memories of the days we spent there. I've pulled a few photos that I don't think I've shared here, so I want to reminisce.

One thing I realized as I was looking through the photos is that I could totally do a whole post on the food we had. I took pictures of just about every meal. There is some seriously good food to be found in the Crescent City. I'll have to keep that post idea in mind.

I'm just gonna put a bunch of pics here and describe a little of what I remember.

We stayed in the French Quarter at the beautiful Hotel Monteleone. The first evening we were there, we went on a ghost tour, which was super fun. I really enjoyed looking at the beautiful buildings with their lights on. 

This is Pirate's Alley. It is an amazingly short street right by St. Louis Cathedral. See that white door? That's where the William Faulkner Bookstore is.


One day we went over to City Park. What I remember most about City Park was the adventure we had in getting there which involved getting on the wrong streetcar, then walking through a part of town with beers, which we probably shouldn't have been doing, and finally getting on the streetcar but not knowing the streetcar etiquette. When we did get to the park, we didn't really know what to do or look for, so we called an Uber and went to a shop to have po'boys.  It was an interesting day.


That night, though, we went to Faubourg Marigny neighborhood for dinner and walking around it was, as the kids say, lit. Frenchmen Street is the best!


On the Saturday we were in NOLA, which happened to be Lizzie's birthday, we started the day with an amazing brunch, then took the streetcar to the Garden District for a walking tour of the neighborhoods to look at the mansions and also one of the famous cemeteries. After the tour, we walked to another little area where there was strolled and had a nice treat. It was a beautiful area.


The photo above is adjacent to the Garden District, but has a different name. Look at that tree, though!

The Carousel Bar is in the Hotel Monteleone. I can personally attest to the delicious breakfast cocktails they have there. When the bar opened at 11 AM was about the only time we could get a seat at the actual carousel. It's awesome. Look up at the mirror above the bartender. There we are!


I took this photo when I was in my cups. It made me smile when I saw it as I was going through the photos. I pretty much loved everything about Frenchmen Street.


These oil lanterns are everywhere. They don't ever put out the lights; they burn day and night and they look cool.


The architecture in the French Quarter really appealed to me. I loved the galleries with the big ferns hanging from them. Remember, this is November and look how beautiful the ferns are. That is really something I can appreciate, especially looking back on it during an extremely gloomy, cloudy and rainy SLC day.


There is so much diversity in New Orleans. There are the old parts of the city like the French Quarter and the Garden District, then there's the vibrant downtown area too. It's a happenin' place.


One more look at the ferns and the architecture. I don't think I'd want to live there, but I sure did enjoy spending a few days there. It was enchanting. I loved walking around and as I mentioned, the food was spectacular. I'd love to go back sometime - I think MT would really like it there too. BUT, there are lots of other places waiting to be explored, so I might have to put a return visit to NOLA on the back burner.


1 comment:

Ninius said...
This comment has been removed by the author.