Tuesday, May 15, 2018

#2043 travel Tuesday: Savannah flashback

It's coming up on a year since Lizzie and I visited the charming southern city of Savannah, Georgia. We left SLC on May 18 and it snowed here that day. You can imagine that we were happy to get to warm, sultry Savannah.

We knew that it gets hot and humid in that part of the US in the summer, so we tried to go fairly early in the year, but it was hot while we were there. We walked all over the historic district; I spent most of the time being sweaty.

Even with the heat and the sweatiness, I have good memories of Savannah. It is a lovely and charming city. The historic district is a feast for the eyes. The food that we had was wonderful: Lizzie and I still talk about how great the chicken strips were at Tondee's.

I was looking through the photos I took while I was there. Here are a few fun pics:

Tybee Island
We started our trip wit a visit to Tybee Island, because we love the ocean. It was our first glimpse of the Atlantic. We would come to learn that boardwalks over the dunes are a feature at beaches on the Atlantic.

River Street
On the first night in Savannah, we walked along the river and admired the old building and the cobblestone street.

Forsyth Park
The trees with the Spanish moss is really a thing in Savannah. It's lovely. And all the shade is a good thing.

Hamilton-Turner House

Quintessential Savannah. Hamilton-Turner House is iconic and so is the horse-drawn carriage.

Forsyth Park
This fountain. Forsyth Park. Awesome. Epitomizes the city.


Bonaventure Cemetery
I never thought I would be a person who would enjoy walking around cemeteries, but this one is pretty great.

Jones Street
Did you know that Jones Street in Savannah has been called the Most Beautiful Street in America?

Lizzie, Mom and I are talking about going to Savannah in December to celebrate Mom's birthday. I hope it happens. I sure would love to go back!

1 comment: