Thursday, June 14, 2018

#2054 three things: family visit, foxtails and Ryan Adams


It's been a few days, but I'm back!

1. Family visit! One of the main reasons I haven't written for a week is because I was preparing for and then playing with my visitors. Mom and Lizzie came to spend a few days here in lovely SLC and really, since they are the main readers of this little corner of the internet, I could just tell them what I was thinking. They arrived on Saturday and left last night (Wednesday). We did a bit of sightseeing, ate some good food, chatted, and even saw a concert. I had fun hanging out with them and I hope they had fun here too. I think they did.

2. Foxtails are the enemy. On Saturday afternoon, just as I was about to go pick Mom and Lizzie up at the airport, I noticed that Osi's left eye did not look right. It was kind of puffy and nearly closed. She was sort of blinking in a painful-looking way. I noticed she had some little burrs on her back and I was afraid that she had a burr in her eye. I couldn't see anything in the eye and I had to leave, so I couldn't do much about it then. When we got home, I called a vet but they weren't taking in any more pets that day. I decided to wait to see if Osi could blink out whatever was in there. At 5:30 on Sunday morning I got up to look at her and it was worse, so I took her to the emergency vet (which is where I would have gone on Saturday anyway). There was a foxtail in her eye. EWWW!! OUCH!!! The stupid weed was working it's way out of Osi's eye, and the vet was able to remove it without even sedating the dog. The foxtail had scratched Osi's eye, so she had to wear the Cone of Shame. She was not graceful with it. She ran in to things during the three days she wore it. There was also an almost unbearable stink that came from the cone. Osi is a sloppy drinker. When she gets a drink of water, she frequently sloshes and slurps and dribbles water onto her floppy lips and ears and all over the floor. With the cone, the water never made it to the floor. It stayed on her chin and neck and ears. The Cone of Shame became the Cone of Stink. When I took Osi to her regular vet on Wednesday morning, even he flinched at the stench.

The good news is that Osi is now cone free. Her eye looks a lot better and everything seems to be fine.

3. Ryan Adams. On Tuesday night Lizzie, MT and I went to see Ryan Adams in concert at Red Butte Garden. Such a great venue! It was a nice evening, not too hot and the wind didn't come down out of the canyon like it sometimes does. We had an excellent picnic and enjoyed the fabulous music. Plus my friends Nicole and Austin sat by us, so it was even better! This is the third year in a row I've been able to see Ryan Adams in concert. I like his music a lot. In the words of the t-shirt Lizzie got, Ryan Adams is sad and loud. Awesome!

Here's hoping y'all have a great weekend planned. I'm aiming to write a few words on Saturday, but I've got some volunteer hours to put in at RBG that day and night. Be kind to yourselves!

No comments: