Saturday, October 20, 2018

#2107 powering through

The last time I wrote I was catching a cold. Well, I caught it. You know, some years when I get a flu shot I feel fine and some years I get sick. I've been coughing and sneezing and I even lost my voice for a couple of days but I'm doing mostly okay. I've had stuff going on and I don't have time to be sick.

On Wednesday MT and I went to see Jimmy Buffett in concert. Jimmy Buffett is one of those artists that have always been in my life soundtrack. When I was in college, I had a friend named Mary who, when we were at the bar, would always sing, "Barmaid bring a pitcher". That's when I learned about Jimmy Buffett's song "Why Don't We Get Drunk and Screw" (which he did NOT perform here in SLC). When I was in Palm Island eating a delicious cheeseburger, I knew I was having a "Cheeseburger in Paradise". And who hasn't fantasized about singing "Margaritaville" in a karaoke competition on a cruise ship? (It didn't happen to me, but I saw it happen). Another great Jimmy Buffett memory is the couple celebrating their 40th wedding anniversary and dancing to "Come Monday" on a sailboat off the coast of Cancun during a snorkeling excursion.

Seeing Jimmy in concert was everything I hoped it would be. I didn't know every song, but every song was fun and sounded good. Jimmy looked like he was having a great time. He was wearing shorts and a Hawaiian shirt and he was barefoot and smiley, running around and waving at the crowd and hopping up and down and bantering with the Coral Reefer band. The dude is 71 years old! He was awesome! MT and I both had a great time. Seeing Jimmy perform "Margaritaville" live was a thrill for me.

Here's a review of the concert from Salt Lake Magazine. It's not the best written piece, but I agree with what she says.

On Thursday and Friday I volunteered at Red Butte Garden for their annual Garden After Dark event. The theme this year is a magical school. The people who come up with the themes and the decorations every year are so creative and talented. I had the chance to walk through the whole thing on Thursday night and it is fun and beautiful and even kinda magical. I was stationed at the potions maze, which is the second "class" on the agenda. The guests were all into it and I had fun too.

Yes, it gets cold out there when the wind blows down out of the canyon. I wear lots of layers of clothes along with a hat, coat and gloves. I suck on cough drops. I drink warm water. When I get in my car, I crank up the heat and turn on my seat warmer. I've been okay. 

Today I made a promise to myself that after I was done with a couple of must-do tasks this morning, I would stay home and rest. I bought some Tylenol Extra Strength Cold and Flu Severe and that stuff is powerful! I took some and went to bed to read and rest. I didn't read at all. The medicine pulled me right into sleepy-land for a few hours. It was great. I'll definitely take some more of that tonight.

Right now though, I'm sitting on my couch. I'm wearing sweatpants and a long sleeve shirt over a short sleeve shirt. I'm wearing socks. I still feel cold. MT and I are watching the USC vs Utah football game. So far Utah is looking good. Hopefully the Utes will hold on and get this win. It would be a big one.

Have a great weekend everyone!

1 comment:

mamacita said...

I hope you get over your cold. It's not getting cooler here, today it was 89, the AC clicked on and is shorts time again!