Thursday, January 17, 2019

#2156 three things: me, me and me OR 10 years, Ekpe and stretch


Oh Thursday! You're so fun because I can write about three things,

1. 10 year challenge. You probably know there's a thing going around on Facebook where you post a photo of yourself 10 years ago and a photo of yourself today. I thought I would do it, but then I took a photo of myself last night and looked at it compared to 10 years ago and I was kind of depressed. I didn't realize how much I had changed. The wrinkles, the brassy hair. Of course in the 10 years ago photo, I was on vacation so I was kind of tan and my hair wasn't all dried out by the harsh Utah weather. Maybe I should wait until after I get back from Thailand to post it. I'll have a little suntan and a big I'm-on-vacation smile.

Oh what the heck. There's only a few of you looking here and you all love me, so I'll be brave:

February 2009

January 2019


2. My friend Ekpe. You all know that I am a big fan of #Ekpesbookclub, the Twitter-based book club hosted by Utah Jazz center Ekpe Udoh. Tonight Ekpe hosted an Author Talk event with Camron Wright, author of the last book we read as a group, The Rent Collector. Camron lives here is the Salt Lake area, so it was pretty great to have a local author talk to the group. (It was also streamed on Facebook Live by the Utah Jazz, if you are interested.)

After a nice discussion about the book, Camron Wright was nice enough to sign his book for anyone who was interested. (I was!) The book is set in Cambodia, so I took the opportunity to chat with Camron about Cambodia for a minute, since I'll be there in a few weeks! I won't be in the area he wrote about, but still. I actually asked him what he recommended that I eat there. He didn't have a suggestion, but told me I should email his son who has spent a lot of time there. lol

Ekpe was cool enough to hang around and chat and take photos with anyone who was interested. (I was!)

He was also selling t-shirts like the one he is wearing. I bought one, of course. I'm gonna wear it to work tomorrow. He is a very nice man.

3. Stretch. My word for this year is stretch. I chose it because it can mean literally stretching my body, but it can also mean stretching out of my comfort zone a little. Every day I ask myself how I am going to stretch.

Today I told myself that I would stretch by introducing myself to at least two people at the Author Talk event. It's hard for me to just walk up to someone and say "Hi! I'm Sandy!" but that's what I told myself I would do and I did! I actually introduced myself to two people: Bentley and Whitney, both of whom I recognized from the Twitter discussions. I even chatted with them for a few minutes and took a pic of Whitney with Ekpe. Whitney took this picture of me and Ekpe.

So there you have it. Tonight's post was all about me and that's okay. I'm pretty awesome :)

1 comment:

Lizzie said...

I like this post! And I like the multiple ways you can define 'stretch.'