Wednesday, March 13, 2024

#2887 three things - books

 


I sketched this pile of books back in November 2022 when I got back from Greece. You can see I drew them with a pencil, then went over it with a pen. I didn't do a great job with the eraser. Let's talk about books!

1. The Empyrean series by Rebecca Yarros. MT and I listened to the first book in the series, Fourth Wing, during our January trip to northern California. It isn't my typical fare; this book is a romantasy full of violence and action, and some spicy scenes, too. It takes place in a war college and our heroes and heroines are all dragon riders. The war college itself is a brutal place for the cadets - they go there when they are 20 years old. The world building and the story telling are very good and we were immediately engaged in the story of Violet and her pals. I was able to get the second book, Iron Flame,  on audio in late February (MT got it right away and finished it quickly.) I'm about 95% through it; I expect to finish it tomorrow. The story and characters have captured my imagination, and I especially like the reader. She's good. I'm pretty sure there will be a third book; I hope the author doesn't make us wait too long for it!

2. I like it when the author joins the discussion. I have been reading with #EkpesBookClub for six years now, and it's always good. We are currently reading Loyalty, our fourth book by Lisa Scottoline. The fun thing about this author is that she joins in on our weekly discussion when we read her books.  There is another author who joins our conversations,  and it's freaking cool when they do it. With Lisa (fun fact: we follow each other on Twitter/X, so she's my "friend") joins us, she gives a little background into what she was thinking about when writing a particular scene, and she talks about the research she does before writing a book. Loyalty takes place in Sicily; another book we read, Eternal, takes place in Rome during WWII and the research she did for each book was extensive and fascinating.  

3. OMG my friend wrote a book! No, not Lisa Scottoline, but a person I actually know in real life, my BFF LA! She wrote a book called Guardian from My Dreams. She self-published and it is available from Amazon. I have the ebook, and I think you can buy a paperback version of it, too. I just started reading it yesterday. It is a sci-fi romantasy book. I think it is going to be a sweet story. I am so happy for her and proud, too. Telling a story and putting it out for the world to see is ballsy and pretty awesome. 

No comments: