Sunday, April 14, 2024

#2893 plants and clothes

It is late on Sunday night - 11:00 pm - about an hour past my bedtime. The thing is that I took a long nap late in the afternoon. I did the same thing yesterday. The naps were glorious and restful, but I realize the timing wasn't very good. Oh well. 

The weather here in Salt Lake City was beautiful this weekend. Very spring-y. The leaves on both the maple trees in my yard are coming out nicely. The little honey locust is also budding. It looks more like a bush, but I'm hoping it will get taller. I have two bridal veil spirea plants that are doing well. I bought four, - or was it six? - but only two remain. Those two plants are doing well, though. I'll post pics when they bloom. 

It's not quite time to plant here. Usually Mother's Day is planting time, or when the snow is melted from the Oquirrh mountains. As usual, I have thoughts about planting around my yard, but I'm not sure how ambitious I'll be about actually doing it. It's a wish list thing. I will definitely have plants on the deck. I'd really like to find a plant stand. I might go to some thrift stores and see what I can find. Maybe there will be something at the Dixon house that I can repurpose.

Today I finally got around to trading out my cold weather clothes for my warm weather clothes. I think the coldest days are behind us, for the most part. I still have some lightweight sweaters that I keep handy because it gets a little cold in the work office sometimes. One of the parts of swapping out the clothes is culling the wardrobe. I filled a couple of large garbage bags with clothing that I'll donate tomorrow. The thing is that I still have a boatload of clothes, way more than I need, to be honest. 

I was thinking about the trip I took to Barcelona and Paris last year. I was going to be away for two weeks, but I didn't want to take a ginormous suitcase, so I was thoughtful about what clothing I took. I wanted to be able to mix and match a lot, and follow the 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 packing formula. I was happy with what I wore there. It got me thinking: isn't it curious that I would pay so much attention to my vacation 'fits, but not put the same thought into my everyday wear, especially what I wear to work at the office?  Even going out running errands, I do not present myself well. I'm not talking about a frock and heels, but I can probably do better than joggers and a t-shirt, even just going to the grocer store. How do I want to present myself? I don't need to be fancy, but the goal is to look "put together." 

This is not new self-talk. I go through this thought process a few times a year, usually when I'm swapping out my seasonal clothes or when I'm packing for vacation. I've decided to challenge myself to go back through my clothes and do the mixing and matching thing. In my mind, I see myself picking out some colors that I like and want to build around, and going from there. It won't happen next weekend, but probably the weekend after. It makes me nervous, and a little excited. 

I have so many scarves. I divided them up between heavier and lighter fabrics and put some away for winter. Scarves aren't really a thing here so much anymore, but I really like them. I could be the scarf lady. You know who wears scarves nicely? The Barefoot Contessa, Ina Garten.


But I digress. 

I'll keep you updated on my progress, both with plants and clothing. 

That's all for tonight. I gotta get to bed. That dumb alarm is going to ring way earlier than I will want to get up as it is.

xo


No comments: