Saturday, June 15, 2013

#954 Man of Steel



Saturday night in the summer usually means family movie night and tonight was no exception. We saw Man of Steel, the new Superman movie. MT was all geeked out about it; T was interested and I went along for the ride. My main objective was to determine whether or not the new Superman, Henry Cavill, is good looking or not. Shallow? Yes.

My decision: yes, he is quite attractive. The only reason I couldn't decide before the movie is because sometimes he looks almost plastic. His face is just so chiseled.





But then his face would relax a little, and I liked him a whole bunch. I liked him best when he was a little scruffy before he went into full-on Man of Steel mode.




But my favorite scene was when he was on the fishing boat and he saved some dudes on an oil rig. When he came out of the water, he looked like this:


Man of Steel! The guy is ripped!! There was not enough shirtless scenes in the movie, in my opinion. But he did look mighty fine in his blue tights.




Ok, enough about that. Sorry. But I am a girl who enjoys looking at a handsome guy.

The casting was good. Amy Adams played Lois Lane, and I basically like Amy in all her movies. Her Lois was smart and strong and not helpless. Russell Crowe was Jor-El, Superman's dad, and Kevin Costner was Jonathan Ken, the Earth dad. I like both of them. Diane Lane was the Earth mom, Martha. (One side note, both Kevin and Diane looked old. Depressing!) The bad guy was played by Michael Shannon. Sometimes he looked like a video game character. He was a good bad guy.

There were a lot of computer generated images (CGI) in the movie, of course. It got a little overwhelming for me, especially at the end.

The story was good. I liked the flashbacks to Clark's childhood. I also liked that there wasn't any cheesiness to the film. It can be pretty easy to poke some fun at Superman, but the screenwriters were very respectful of the superhero. I think that might have been in part to Christopher Nolan's involvement in the movie. He's done a fantastic job with the Dark Knight movies. 

Overall, it was fun and I enjoyed it. I stayed awake the whole time, even though I tried to nod off here and there. I still haven't seen an action-type movie that I thought was as good as Star Trek Into Darkness. That's been my favorite movie so far this summer.

Wow. Today is the 15th, that being an odd day and I wasn't scheduled to write today. Oh well! Hope you enjoyed the post :)


No comments: