Sunday, June 16, 2013

#955 my dad is awesome!

Today is Father's Day here in the USA. I didn't get to physically spend the day with my dad, but he was on my mind most of the day.

I feel very fortunate to have a good relationship with both of my parents and with my sister, too. We have always been a close-knit family. Maybe it's because we lived so far from my grandparents: one pair in Spain and the other in California, so it was just the four of us making our way in the world. When I was in high school, I felt like my dad was my biggest supporter when it came to my sports. It was pretty rare when he wasn't in the stands during my basketball or volleyball games. He would even come on road trips, if he could make it. That meant a lot to me, especially because I didn't really play that often in my junior year. He was still there for me.

When I went to college, Mom, Dad and Lizzie moved to California and I tried to figure out who and what  I was going to be by staying in school in Idaho. Even though I didn't see my family all that much in those years, I always knew they had my back and supported my decisions, like when I decided that MT and I would live together during my final semester. I'm not sure that Dad though MT was a particularly good choice at the time, but I know that he has come to love and appreciate him.

The time when I really got to know my dad the best, though, was after Dad retired and he started coming to spend time at our house. I absolutely loved that he was willing to be away from the comforts of his home to hang out with T, MT and I. Those were the best times! Just hanging out together, watching TV, cooking, chatting and just being together was amazing. I cherish those times.

Last year was very difficult because for the first time, I was forced to imagine what the world would be like without my dad in it. It was a bleak prospect. I'm not much of a person for prayer, but I sent out good vibes and powerful, healing thoughts to my dad every day and wished and hoped that he would get better. I am so thankful that he seems to be doing so well now.

I've learned so much from my dad. He has taught me about work ethic, to give one hundred percent effort to your company and to be loyal. He didn't change jobs much and I liked his steadiness. He worked hard for his company and I think they appreciated that in him. He taught me about organization. He taught me that if something was worth doing, it was worth doing well. He taught me my love of basketball. My dad is thoughtful and sentimental and loving. He's also a little bit stubborn and prone to a bit of a temper, two traits that I have inherited, but we are both working on subduing those habits. :)

One of the best feelings in the world is when someone that you love and admire for who they are happens to be your dad. Thanks for everything, Dad. You're the best and I love you so, so much! Happy Father's Day!


No comments: