Tuesday, August 10, 2021

#2600 travel Tuesday: MT's adventure

Around this time next week, MT and his brother Kevin will be heading north to Idaho for a 20-plus day backpacking trip in the Frank Church - River of No Return Wilderness area on Idaho's Centennial Trail. They have been planning this adventure for nearly a year, gathering maps, talking about what they will need, how much they should carry, and where the resupply stops will be. The preparation has required Kevin to apply for a sabbatical from his job. It's a little easier for MT to take time off work because he is self-employed, but he still has responsibilities (hi! it me! and the rentals and all of his clients, of course). 

Questions I frequently get asked about this trip:

  Are you going? Hell to the no! I'm not outdoorsy. At. All. There's no freaking way I would want to be out in the wilderness for even two days, let alone over 20 days.

  Are you nervous for them? Hell to the yes! There's shit that can kill you or hurt you real bad out there. Of course I'm nervous and worried. The thought that comforts me is that both MT and Kevin are experienced backpackers, and I'm sure they'll be fine. Both are carrying satellite communication devices with SOS capabilities.  MT has contacted the ranger stations to let them know they'll be out there, as well as a couple of remote resorts, accessible only by air or by hiking in. They have contracted a plane to take them to their furthest out point and will hike south back to the Challis area, so the airplane guy knows about them, too. 

  Has MT been training for the hike? Not too much. He is physically active at his job, but no, he hasn't been doing any local hikes to prepare. I don't know about Kevin. I imagine the first week or so will be pretty hard on them, but maybe not. What the hell do I know?

I am sure it will be an adventure of a lifetime for both of them.  I'll be interested in hearing the stories when MT gets back. 


  

1 comment:

Kteach said...

Love your hiking picture.

It's once in a lifetime experience. I wish them good luck and fun.