Monday, December 31, 2007

good-bye 2007

It cracks me up that each new year's eve I plan and plot the ways that I will do/be better at everything than I was the previous year. Today is no different except that I have been planning and plotting about how I will do/be better for several days already. It started on Christmas Eve, I think, when I asked everyone around me (my parents and my husband) what the difference was between a resolution and a goal. With some online help, we learned that a resolution is a desire to make a change and a goal is a measurable thing. For example, I could resolve that I will lose weight this year, and my goal would be to lose x number of pounds.

I made a list (of course!) of all the resolutions I wanted to make and the things I could do to accomplish my resolutions. In the end, there is really only one resolution for me this year: to take better care of myself. To me that means getting a little or a lot sweaty every day, watching what I eat, allowing myself to have a manicure, pedicure or facial without feeling guilty about it, going to the doctor promptly when I don't feel good (that 8 week sinus infection in the spring really sucked!), and buying myself a new shirt or pair of shoes or some clothing item just because I want to. That's it. Sounds easy, right? Stay tuned...
~~
T and I went to the Jazz game tonight. We had tickets from Junior Jazz. We almost didn't go, but I'm glad we did. The only bad part of it was that the seats were up at the top of the arena and that means lots of stairs (good for the glutes, right?) We were right at mid-court and Kyle Korver is here (yummy!), and the Jazz won, ending the Blazers 13 game winning streak. It was a good game, too!

After the game I stopped at Del Taco for some $0.50 tacos that I ate while drinking a $50 bottle of wine. Happy New Year to me!
~~
Because of my enjoyment of lists, here is a little list of my favorite things from 2007.

Books - I read 42 books this year and these were my favorites.
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - J.K. Rowling: I've enjoyed all the Harry Potter books and this one did not disappoint me. Hooray for Harry!
Life of Pi - Yann Martel: I was skeptical about this book, but I still find myself thinking about it even though I read it in August. It was a really neat story.
The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini: Haunting; makes me so happy I don't live in Afghanistan. This story made me cry a lot.
Sloppy Firsts and Second Helpings - Megan McCafferty: I gobbled these up like candy. Delicious! And a wonderful protagonist.

Music
Sam's Town - The Killers: I listened to this cd probably every day in May.
FutureSex/LoveSound - Justin Timberlake: I didn't expect to like it as much as I do, but I really do! Makes me want to dance around. When the concert special was shown on HBO in the fall, I watched it like 6 times. I don't have a sexual thing for JT, but I liked the show. I'd pay money to see him if he came to town.
Easy Tiger and Heartbreaker - Ryan Adams: I'm not sure what brought this one on. I had his cd Gold and I liked it a lot, so I got Easy Tiger and I like it too. Then my sister told me that her favorite Ryan Adams cd is Heartbreaker so I got that and I played those 3 cds in my car for a good couple months. I really like his songwriting and his voice and the music. I saw him at Red Butte Gardens this summer which really didn't do much to increase my love for him, but it did introduce me to a really great venue!
Introducing...Joss Stone: I just like it a lot. Sounds sort of retro. I really like the song Tell Me What We're Gonna Do Now with Common. It's on repeat a lot.
Good Girl Gone Bad - Rihanna: my current favorite. I like all the songs. It's musical candy and that's ok with me.
Josh Groban: I loved his concert this summer and cds are relaxing and good.
Continuum - John Mayer: He's good. I like the guitar and the vocals and the songs. This is a good cd.

Things I did
Jazz game with Mom, Dad & T in January: we were able to get tickets in Granite's suite and it was really fun to be there with the family, especially my mom who hadn't been to a Jazz game or in a suite and so it was, well, sweet.
Trip to California in March to see family, including Tia Mia: It was a short trip, and we went to Disneyland with Mom, Mia, Lizzie, Han & DK. Lots of fun.
Trip to Mexico in April with my boys plus my nephew and my in-laws: maybe it wasn't perfect, but it was a lot of fun and I remember it fondly. The resort was great and we did fun things. The best was hanging out at the pool with T. He was awesome.
Jazz make it to the Western Conference Finals: this doesn't really have anything to do with me, but I really like the Jazz and it was cool to watch them go so far. I especially enjoyed the playoff game against the Warriors we were able to attend.
The Police concert: Even though the concert was sort of anti-climatic for me since I had built it up so much in my mind, I'm very glad I got to see them again. I still love their music. It was T's first concert ever.
Seeing Josh Groban in concert with LA: I didn't expect to enjoy this as much as I did. He's great. Love the voice, love the hair, love him. Can't wait for the dvd that was filmed at this show.
Thanksgiving in SLC with the Pocatello family: it was scary and stressful but turned out ok and made me feel good in the end.
Christmas in California: a few great days with the folks in sunny So Cal. Enjoyed the family and seeing my old friends Reg & Scott.
Every visit with my dad and mom: Dad came up a few times this year and Mom was here in the summer with him. I love having them stay with us.
Blogging: I don't know why I like it, but I do. Because we are so far away from each other, I hope that my words bring us a little closer.
~~
I think that's all I have to say this year. Good luck in 2008!

xo
redred

1 comment:

emtes said...

I have no resulotion for the new year but maybe go to see Jo in April together with Jonas who, maybe, will be playing in LA then. Hope to see you then. I wish you, T and M a very Happy New Year and hope your 2008 will be as good as you like it to be.
Hugs and kisses from Tia Mia