Thursday, November 22, 2012

#815 Happy Thanksgiving!

I am so incredibly full. I actually feel uncomfortable and I'm wearing the biggest, loosest jeans I own. No one made me eat so much; I did it all on my own, every single bite.

Here at my in-law's house, we had a very traditional Thanksgiving meal. There were 15 people here for dinner and we ate at 4:00. We started with some light appetizers that included deviled eggs, shrimp cocktail and my yummy dip with crackers. For the meal, Linda cooked a ham and a turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing and green bean casserole. I brought the sweet potatoes (big hit!); my sister-in-law Tracy brought salad and pies; her friend Kelly brought amazing home-made rolls; my nephew Chris brought pies and home-made baked macaroni and cheese, my nephew John brought wine. Linda served everything buffet-style, which I thought was really smart and we had a nice meal.

After dinner, I retreated to the basement to watch football with John and Amanda. You have to watch at least some football on Thanksgiving, after all.

Another tradition we have in our family is to see a movie on Thanksgiving night. When everyone left, the five of us who are staying in this house (Jake, Linda and the three of us), went to see the movie "Lincoln".  I thought Daniel Day-Lewis was fantastic. Seeing him was like seeing a penny come to life. I never thought Daniel looked like Abe before, but I thought he nailed it! Overall, though, I didn't really care for the film. So many words! I thought DDL should be in every scene saying every word, but he's not. The movie is about the time when the President is trying to get the 13th Amendment to abolish slavery passed through the House of Representatives, so there are a lot of men with big beards arguing about slavery and the Civil War and Lincoln is all mixed in. I admit that I napped through parts of the show. All the words combined with my full tummy just made for a sleepy girl. Also, although we got to the movie place 20 minutes before show-time, we had to sit in the second row, so we were pretty slouchy and that added to the ease of getting a little shut-eye. I did enjoy the final 30 to 40 minutes of the show. For me, I could have waited for the rental. I'm sure DDL will get a nomination for the Best Actor Oscar.

To finish up this post, I feel like I must let you know what I am thankful for. First of all, of course, my family. From my boys at home to my own dear family in California and my lovely married-into family in Idaho and everyone else around the world, I am thankful to have you all in my life. I'm thankful that my dad is doing well. I'm thankful for my new knee and that the recovery went well. I'm thankful for my work and the people I work with who make it all bearable.

And thanks to you for checking  in through this blog. Whether you came here on purpose or just stumbled here looking for something else, thanks for stopping by :)

No comments: