Saturday, December 29, 2012

#831 I'm cheap, but I'm trying to get over it

There are many things I enjoy doing, and probably one of my most favorite things is to read. I may read more than some, I certainly read less than others, and I know I could read more, but it is what it is and I'm happy with my reading.

Mostly I get my books from the library. I can almost always find something at the library that interests me and it's free. I like free.

Last year as a belated birthday gift, I got myself a Nook color e-reader from Barnes & Noble. I had a whole bunch of gift certificates that I'd received for my birthday, and MT encouraged me to get an e-reader, so I did. I like the Nook just fine. I've read several books with it. I have figured out how to get free e-books from the library for my Nook.

Because just about everyone who knows me understands how much I love to read, I often get gift cards for Barnes & Noble so I can buy books for my Nook.

That's awesome, and I love to get the gift cards. I love the idea of being able to get any book I want.

I discovered something about myself, though. I'm cheap! Even though I have the gift cards with which to buy the books, I feel bad about buying the book. It's a strange thing. Usually I read a book in just over a week, and then it's done. If I have a hard copy of a book, I can potentially lend it to someone, but if it's on my Nook, there's no lending. I sort of feel like I wasted the money on the book even though I didn't waste money because I had a gift card. When I get a book from the library, I read it and take it back, spit spot, Bob's your uncle.

So I had to have a serious talk with myself the other day as I was looking at all my B&N gift cards, including at least two from last Christmas that I hadn't used. I told myself that it was OK to buy books for my Nook because people who like/love me know that reading is my thing and they want me to enjoy books and buy them and have fun. Really, there's nothing else to do with those gift cards, so just buy the dang books already.

So I did. I put one of the gift cards into my account and I bought four books. They were all reduced price books, $5 or less, except one book that was $10.  I still have money left.

Which brings me to my next problem: now I have a LOT of books to read! I am currently reading a library book, plus I have two more waiting for me. I'll read those first. Then I have the four new books I just got on my Nook as well as others that I've purchased at reduced rates or gotten for free on Free Book Friday (sometimes B & N has great freebies.) In addition, I do have actual books that I've purchased over the past couple of years that are sitting in my bookcase, waiting patiently to be read. If I didn't go to the library or buy any more books online, I bet I have enough books on hand to get me through June or July if I read three books a month.

If this isn't a First World problem, I don't know what is. It's quite a pleasure to deal with this "problem".

I added something new to this blog - a page listing all the books I read this year. I also have lists from 2011 and 2010 that I may add. (I love lists!)

My favorite book was The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman. She is a fantastic writer and this story was incredible. (I wrote about it in post #687.) If you are looking for a good read, try The Dovekeepers. I think you'll like it.

Ok, that's all I've got to say tonight. I'm going to read ;)


No comments: