Monday, December 31, 2012

#832 good-bye 2012

Lizzie did it and Mom did it, so I want to do it, too. There are four things I will always remember about 2012:
  • I had a total joint replacement on my right knee.
  • My dad's health was a concern all year.
  • We spent 10 days in Belize.
  • My work was probably the most trying  for me that it has been in the 16 years I've been with the company.
In relation to all of those things:

   I spent more time in hospitals this year than I think I have ever spent in my life.  I've talked to more surgeons this year (two) than ever before. 

   I also got to spend more time with my mom, dad and sister. I visited California at least once a month for each of the first seven months of the year, plus I got to spend a whole week with my sister when she came to help me while I was recovering from the knee surgery. Even though the circumstances weren't ideal during those visits, it was great to be with them.

  My new knee is doing great. It feels good and I'm glad I had the surgery. I'm sure I'll have the left knee done as well, but I don't know if it will be in 2013 or 2014. I'm going to put it off as long as I can, but probably not as long as I put off having the right knee done. 

   The trip to Belize was lots of fun, especially the day we spent in Tikal, Guatemala. It was hot and sweaty and rainy and humid and sometimes there was sun. We drank good beer and ate plenty of lobster and found a new favorite thing - Marie Sharp's hot sauce.

   With the implementation of the new accounting software at work, 2012 was a year of learning and adapting and figuring out how to do my job all over again. I did a little bit of traveling (to Stockton, CA) and took a few months off from the office during the surgery recovery time.

A couple of other things about 2012:

  MT and I bought another rental property to add to our real estate empire. ;)

  MT worked all over the place this year. He finished up the City Creek Center project. He worked in Provo on the new LDS temple. He worked in Logan at the hospital. Now he's working on a giant parking structure at Primary Children's Hospital here in SLC.

  T is in 9th grade and doing really well. In the first term, he made all As on his report card. He is in the show choir and will be on the wrestling team. He's really into music and movies. He is also taller than I am, just by a little right now, but I don't think he's done growing just yet. In our next family photo, he may be taller than both MT and me.

Raise your glasses, friends, to a happy, healthy, prosperous and fun-filled 2013!


  



No comments: