Wednesday, January 30, 2013

#862 the January photo

This morning, after finally getting to my office after a harrowing, snow-covered road commute,  I was sitting in my office, watching the snow fall for the third day in a row. I was feeling tired of winter. I'm really over it. I'm ready for some sunshine.

In my office, I have a beautiful beach scene calendar (this month's photo is of the Maldives!) and a few photos from past trips that we've taken. I often look at those photos and am reminded of the good times - and warm temperatures! - we enjoyed. The pictures have helped me take my mind off the snow and freezing cold temps we've had here in SLC. The photos also motivate me to go on vacation somewhere magnificent once again!

Here at home, I have a calendar with photos from last year's trip to Belize. I've been making the calendars for the past few years and putting pics from the vacation on each month. It's fun because each month I can see the photo and remember what was going on during the photo-taking time.

Here is the January photo:

Tikal, Guatemala - June 2012

There's MT, T and I standing in the Main Plaza in front of Temple I in Tikal, Guatemala. Our guide, Samuel took the photo. He actually took several photos of us there in the Main Plaza. We all liked this one because Temple I is so incredibly spectacular and I think we all look good! The Main Plaza was our last stop of the day at Tikal and we were tired and sweaty and hungry and filled with joy at the amazing day we'd had there.

When I see this photo, I think of walking through the jungles of Guatemala, hearing the guttural growling sounds of howler monkeys that we couldn't even see. I think of the movement of the trees and the knowledge that the jungle was alive with creatures all around us: in the trees, under the ground, possibly hiding in the trees or bushes or grasses right next to where we were walking. I think of T and MT walking ahead of me with Samuel, the three of them deep in conversation as I was dragging my right leg along, in pain but willing myself to go on and see everything that I could. I think of mopping my forehead with a little washcloth I'd brought with me from duPlooy's and being so thankful that I had the towel. I think of the feeling I had when I saw my first glimpse of Temple I from the top of Temple IV and how I felt when I walked into the Main Plaza and saw Temple I and Temple II and all the surrounding walls that were left from the thriving civilization of the Maya. I was humbled. I felt so grateful to have the opportunity to be there and to share the experience with MT and T.

Now I feel warm and happy :) Good night!

No comments: