Saturday, March 16, 2013

#891 Saona Island, DR

Yesterday I challenged you to name where we were, and it was so easy. Of course it was the Dominican Republic! The pic was taken in February 2008 on our first trip to the island.

On the day this pic was taken, we were out on an excursion to Saona Island. Saona is still one of the most beautiful places I have ever been and the excursion is one of my favorites we've ever been on. The day started with a casual catamaran ride to the island. The boat didn't have many passengers aboard so it was really comfortable. I remember that we danced and that T even got to steer the boat.

On our way back to the resort, we took a speedboat that stopped at what they called "the national swimming pool." It was a sandbar about a mile off-shore. We jumped out of the boat and were in water up to our crotches, I guess. (You saw the picture!) The water was warm and clear and bright blue. You could easily see the sea stars on the sand. I remember that a small manta ray swam by, not too far from us. We drank rum and cokes out there.

When we got back to our resort, the boat wasn't allowed to pull up to the resort's dock, so we were dropped off just a little way down the beach. The crew brought the boat up as close to the shore as they could, but it was pretty much right where the waves were breaking. We all got out of the boat just fine, except that when I got out, the boat hit one of my toes and my toe was broken. For the rest of the trip, it was all purple and swollen.

Other than that little injury at the end of the day, it was one of my favorite vacation days ever!

ps: if you want to read the post I wrote about our trip to Saona Island after we actually went there, the post number is 85.


No comments: