Wednesday, June 18, 2014

#1202 World Cup fever!


I've got the fever, friends; World Cup Fever!! I think I have watched at least some futbol every day of the tournament. I probably shouldn't admit this, but I have even sneaked some watching while I am at work using my Watch ESPN app on my beloved iPhone. Mostly I just listen to it because the screen on the phone is pretty small so it's hard to watch the action.

Of course my favorite team in the tournament is the US team. I was so excited when they beat Ghana on Monday! I was listening to the end of the match when I was on my way home from work and I was dejected when Ghana scored to even it up and euphoric when the US scored and hung on for the win. I think that in the last two World Cup tournaments, Ghana has knocked the US out, so it was awesome to get the win. Next up Portugal on Sunday. Hopefully Reynaldo will behave and the US can win that one, too. That would be great!

After the US, I was rooting for Spain, my mother's homeland and the defending World Cup champions. There will not be a repeat. Spain was manhandled by the Netherlands and lost today to Chile. Sad.

After that, I like Argentina mostly because of Lionel Messi. I think he's fantastic! You know he plays for Barcelona and even though I don't see their games, I do follow what's going on with them on FB.

I don't know that much about soccer/futbol, but it's fun to watch and to listen to. I enjoy how excited the announcers get when a play is being made near the goal. The guys on ESPN who were calling the Netherlands/Australia match this afternoon were awesome. They would get so excited and their voices would go up several octaves and then they would get all quiet, almost to a whisper. It made me laugh.

Sports are good!!

1 comment:

Kteach said...

Listening to futbol in the Mexican channel is GREAT! The commentators are Argentinian, Mexican etc and to hear GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL! is so fun! :)