Tuesday, April 14, 2015

#1415 allergies? cold? what is it?!?

On Saturday I drove out to Lehi with the thought of going to Thanksgiving Point to see the Tulip Festival. It was a beautiful day and Thanksgiving Point is on of my favorite places in Utah. I haven't been out to see the tulips for a few years, I was free, so why not? I was not the only person in the valley with that idea. The parking lot was full and the line to get into the gardens was L.O.N.G. I decided to try again on a different Saturday before May 9 (the end of the festival.) About the time that I was heading back to the freeway, the sneezing started. My eyes were all water-y and itchy, too. Allergies.

I went straight to the store and bought some allergy medicine, which I promptly took. I waited for it to kick in, but there was never a kick. I slept terribly on Saturday night. My nose would drip and I was powerless to sniffle. I had no control over my nose function.

Sunday morning I went straight to the store and bought some different allergy medicine, one that treated more of the symptoms I was having: headache, sinus pressure, runny nose. It helped a little, but didn't really ease the pressure I was having on the left side of my face. I slept a little better on Sunday, but that's not saying much. I was up every hour blowing my nose.

On Monday I still didn't feel well, but staying in bed was not an option because the pressure on my sinuses was worse when I laid down. Sometimes if I sat up, my sinuses would clear for a minute and I could breathe. But my throat was starting to get really dry from being a mouth-breather. I went to work and sounded all plugged-up and gross. I tried to keep to myself, continuing to take the second allergy medicine I bought which helped a little, but not as much as I would have liked. (Sudafed, if you're wondering.)

Last night, Monday, our friends Rob and LA came into town. They had been in Colorado over the weekend and extended their mini-holiday an extra night to hang out with us. MT and Rob had Mexican food and watched documentaries about backpacking and wingsuit flying. T, LA and I headed over to the ESA to watch the Jazz's final home game of the season. They were playing the Dallas Mavericks. LA loves the Mavs and especially Dirk Nowitski. She was even wearing a Dirk t-shirt. (I still love her though.) Sad for her, Dirk wasn't there and neither were three of their other starters. Even the Jazz were giving a few of their guys the night off. The Jazz won! It was awesome to hang out with LA at the game.

Back to my health...

This morning I woke up and my throat was scratchy, again, I think from breathing through my mouth. The left side of my face is still full of pressure. When I blow my nose, not much happens except that I get a raging headache. So I went back to the store and this time I picked up a cold medicine that treats sore throat, sinus pressure and congestion, runny nose and a cough. I think I've got the right stuff now (I hope!)

That's why I'm writing early (for me) so I can take some of this medicine and crawl into bed. I want to be cured and feel better because T and I are going to visit my parents this weekend in celebration of my dad's 75th birthday! 75!!

One more thing...

It snowed here today. It was super windy and then it rained mud and then it snowed. You have to love Utah in the spring.

2 comments:

Lizzie said...

Raining mud? Ick. Also snow? Double ick. Advil Cold & Sinus or Advil Allergy & Sinus. Either one works miracles. Hope you feel better soon.

Kteach said...

Everytime I sneeze and think I have allergies Marvin tells me I have a cold, so I take an Alka Seltzer plus and I'm OK. But I remember I had bad allergies a couple of times I came to Utah!
I hope you feel better.