Sunday, August 2, 2015

#1496 watching movies: Mission Impossible and Paper Towns

I wasn't feeling very well this weekend, so I spent time sleeping, reading and watching movies. I saw four movies: two that I had seen before and two new releases in the theater. The movies I watched on TV, commercials and everything were The Hunger Games and Never Been Kissed. I really love Never Been Kissed. It might be my favorite Drew Barrymore movie. She is so delightfully awkward for most of the movie and I love how she comes into her own toward the end. Plus Michael Vartan is so cute!

Those are older movies, though. Don't you want to hear about the new releases? I know you do :)






We had family movie night to see the new Tom Cruise movie Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation. I have liked most of the MI movies, especially the last one and I really liked this one, too. It was full of action and I thought it was a lot of fun. Tom Cruise appears to be in very good physical condition. I won't even bother to say he looks good for a man his age. He looks good for a man of any age. My favorite character, though, is Benji (Simon Pegg). Every action movie needs to have a bit of comic relief and Benji is perfect. The female character is Ilsa played by Rebecca Ferguson (she's Swedish!), is an ass-whooper. Yeah, I liked this movie a lot!



I went by myself to see Paper Towns. I read the book by John Green earlier this year and I liked it, of course. I have liked all of John Green's books. I thought the casting was superb. Both Nat Wolff and Carla Delevingne look exactly how I pictured Quentin and Margo Roth Speigelman to look long before I even knew they would be playing these characters.

Fun facts about Nat Wolff: he was in another John Green movie, The Fault in Our Stars, and he was excellent as Isaac. Second, when Nat Wolff was younger he was on a TV show called The Naked Brothers Band. T loved that show! T was the one who told me that Nat Wolff was the kid from The Naked Brothers Band. I think he's becoming a very good actor. He's got another movie coming up with Anne Hathaway and Robert DeNiro called The Intern. I think that movie looks pretty good too.

Anyway, I thought Wolff was perfect as Q. He was just the right amount of nerdy and persistent without being annoying. He plays a senior in high school, so it was interesting to see how Q and his friends behaved and compare them to real-life high school seniors. Convincing.

The movie differed a little from the book, but not enough to make me say WTF? I liked it. It was a nice way to spend a couple of hours.

I know I usually write about the fixer upper on Sunday, but MT didn't spend a lot of time over there today, so I didn't have a chance to go over and take any photos. I'll get caught up on the improvements over there later this month, though.

I mentioned that I also did some reading. I actually gave up on one book called Backyard. It was too cartoonish for me. I didn't even get 100 pages into the thing. It was about a gardening competition in a Minnesota town. Couldn't get into it.

I did finish a book though:





I'll write a little something about it on the 2015 Reading List page.

I hope you all had a good weekend. Tomorrow is Monday. Don't forget to be awesome!

No comments: