Friday, December 18, 2015

#1570 Wayfarer's Chapel

In contrast to my last post, today I am writing early because later tonight we are going to see Star Wars: The Force Awakens. The boys and I are pretty damn excited about it!!

Yesterday was my mom's birthday. T and I went to visit last weekend and we celebrated Mom's birthday while we were there. It was the first time Mom, Lizzie and I had been together since the trip to Barcelona and again, it was just fun to hang out with them!

The three of us went to Wayfarer's Chapel in Rancho Palos Verdes. It's about an hour or so from Mom's house, on a hill overlooking the ocean. It was a ridiculously nice day: bright blue sky, mild temperature, gentle breeze - pretty much every cliched description of a December day in Southern California fit this day.

The hills in Rancho Palos Verdes are mostly dry and brown at this time of year, which only added to the overall spectacular-ness of the Wayfarer's Chapel and grounds. The chapel was designed by Lloyd Wright (Frank Lloyd Wright's son) and his inspiration were the redwood forests of Northern California, so pine trees were brought onto the site to complete the vision. So among these barren hills, there's a green oasis of beauty with an beautiful little chapel tucked in.





This is a view from the back of the chapel. On the left is the bell tower, in front of that is a covered walkway. In the background you can see the chapel and on the right is a rose garden.

The chapel itself is all windows with some supporting structure. It is designed to bring one in touch with nature. I could have sat there quietly for some time, I think.





The view of the ocean is...well...look:






It's just so lovely!! We wandered around the grounds for an hour or so. It's not a big place, so we saw everything in a short time, but we didn't want to leave. What a nice little outing for us.





T and my dad stayed home and hung out together. I think they enjoyed their grandpa/grandson time, too.

The next day, Monday, T and I came back to SLC to a blizzard. On Tuesday, this was the view from my office:





Snowy and cold and inversion-y. Good thing I had the pics of sunny SoCal to perk me up!

Happy belated birthday Mom! I love you!!

1 comment:

Kteach said...

I love you too Sandy. We sure had a good time ! :)