Sunday, January 3, 2016

#1579 the fixer upper master bedroom

This weekend MT and I went through the fixer upper room by room to make a list of everything that still needs to be purchased to finish up the repairs to the house. MT already has a lot of supplies that he is still using, but we filled several small notebook pages with things like floor heating vents and sheetrock and wood for trim and paint and carpet and stuff like that. Even with as much work as he has done, there is still plenty of work to be done.

This weekend he started working on the master bedroom. He wanted to have the other rooms mostly done before he tackled the master bedroom. There...it...I can't even come up with words to describe the master's state of being. When I walked through I was constantly asking, "Do you have stuff for that?" while pointing at a section of ceiling that was just insulation and a beam or a wall with a big hole in it or the floor that is completely broken. MT, to his credit, looked me in the eye and said, "Yes, I have the stuff to fix that and yes, I can do it." Gotta love him.

So here are four photos that I took on Thursday that show the state of the master bedroom. I will be really happy to show you the progress on this room!


This first photo (above) is a shot of the new walk-in closet. In this room's previous life, it was down a step from where I am standing taking the photo and the room was a laundry room. MT has made the floor the same level throughout the room - no more random steps. He will be removing the window that you see at the end there and adding shelves and rods for hanging the clothes. Also, please notice the jagged opening between the rooms. The part of the house where the closet is was added on to the original house. There was a door there and MT took out the door and busted through the block wall to make a bigger opening. I'm not sure how he will make that look nice, but he assures me that he can and he will. 

Now I am standing in the doorway of the bedroom. You can see that it is painted brown all over, even on the ceiling. Ugh. Oh, and you might notice some posts right there in front. There used to be a bathroom actually in the bedroom. There was a wall and those posts are pretty much what is left of the wall. MT will take those down. The room will be pretty spacious when it's done.


The photo above shows the hole in the floor that I talked about earlier. This is where the bathroom was. It seriously looks so awful right now that I am having a hard time imagining what it will all look like when it's finished. Oh yeah, and that's the pipe hole where the toilet used to be.


Here is that missing ceiling I mentioned. To the left there is a skylight which was over the bathroom. Fortunately it doesn't leak, but we are not going to be keeping it. I think MT is going to cover it and make it a nice flat ceiling. He has put in those can lights you can see in the back. He says that he has done quite a bit of work in the room since Thursday.

In a couple of months we will revist these photos and I will be happy to show you the "after" shots! I have faith that MT is going to make this a really nice house. I hope that some family will buy it and be really happy. That's one of my wishes for 2016.

Back to work tomorrow. I think I'm ready mentally :)


1 comment:

emtes said...

Wow, that is a lot of work to be done. I will so much look forward to see the "after" photos. Can't imagine how it will look but all the other things he has done in the house has been so pretty.
I'm still on holiday leave and doesn't start until Thursday :-)
Here we finally got some snow and cold -10 C otherwise we have had a very mild winter so far.
Take care, love you
Aunt Mia :-)
Give a hug to your boys ;-)