Saturday, January 9, 2016

#1585 family movie night - The Revenant

Tonight the boys and I went to see the new Leonardo DiCaprio film, The Revenant. I'd seen the previews and wasn't sure it was a movie I wanted to see. It seemed like it would be pretty intense and violent and I didn't know if I would be up for it. But then I heard there might be some Oscar buzz about it and decided to go.

Was it violent? Oh yeah. Was it intense? Was it ever! My heart is still pounding and my muscles are still a little tense. There were many, many scenes where my shoulders creeped up around my ears and my hands covered my face. During the scene with the bear, I seriously wanted to scream or whimper.

The scenery was spectacular. The cinematography was outstanding. The direction was superb. There is one scene in particular where Glass (DiCaprio) lays down and all you can hear is his breathing and the wind. The shot pans up to the tree tops and into the sky and all you hear is breathing and nothing else. It's silent. It's chilling and beautiful and perfect.

The acting is also very, very good. The supporting cast is excellent. Tom Hardy plays Fitzgerald. He's the bad guy and he's damn good at it. Make no mistake, though, this movie is all DiCaprio and you cannot take your eyes off him even when you really want to (the scene by the river when he's getting a drink then tries to heal the wound in his neck, for example. OY!) He doesn't talk a lot in the movie, but you pretty much know everything he is thinking and feeling anyway.

I was squirming in my seat quite a lot during the two and a half hours. It was kind of hard to watch, but too impressive to look away from. At the end, I felt kind of weak. The life of a mountain man in the 1800s was tough. So was death.

I had to look up the meaning of the word "revenant." It means "a person who has returned especially supposedly from the dead." Well done on the part of  Michael Punke, the author of the novel. It is the perfect title.

Overall, I'm glad I went to see the movie, but I doubt I will want to see it again. Once was plenty.

No comments: