Tuesday, March 22, 2016

#1633 not my typical day

Today has been unusual. It started when I woke up this morning and my Fitbit was broken. Not the electronic part, but the band had come off the electronic part and was flapping around. The problem had started several months ago and I contacted Fitbit and they sent me a replacement. I hadn't started using the replacement though because I wanted to use my original Fitbit until it fell apart, which it did today. I wear it mostly every day and night. I do take it off every morning when I shower. It lasted about 10 months. I thought it would last at least a year. The devices aren't cheap. I'm kind of disappointed, but at least Fitbit gave me a brand new device. It's the same model, the ChargeHR and this one is purple. I'm going to set it up tonight.

I actually took the black one to work with me because I wanted to try to super glue the band back on the electronic part, but it didn't work out.

The weather here has been very nice and spring-like, but this morning it was raining. I was sitting at my desk working on my computer and I saw a really bright flash of light out of the corner of my eye, then I heard a general grumble from the people in the department. The power had gone out. I still had power in my office, but the rest of the room was dark and the computers were all off. A few minutes later the power went off in my office too. I don't know if lightning hit a transformer or what happened, but a power line was down outside the building. The fire trucks came, then the power company came and said power wouldn't be restored until around 1:30. Did I mention that the rain had turned to snow and we had a mini spring blizzard? The temperature was dropping like a stone and the snow was coming down. We let everyone go home because what is the point of sitting in a dark office for four hours waiting for the power to come back on? There's no point.

I had tickets to go to the spring training baseball game between the Salt Lake Bees and the LA Angels. The game was snowed out. No baseball in SLC today.

Suddenly I was faced with an unexpected free day at home. I probably could have put my time to good use and done something productive, but that seemed like a slap in the God of Good Fortune's face. Instead, I put on my fleece relaxin' pants, a cozy sweatshirt and thick socks, plopped myself on the couch and watched a few episodes of Gilmore Girls. Then I felt sleepy, so I wandered up to my big comfy bed, crawled under the blanket, pressed my feet up against my warm dog and took an wonderful nap.

Today is caucus day in Utah, so MT and I decided to attend. We are not followers of the majority party in the state, so we didn't think there would be too many people at our caucus location. We were wrong. There were hundreds of people at our location. We were there for nearly an hour. It was cool. People seem really interested in this presidential election. We felt good about doing our civic duty. Of course the caucus is just to determine how the delegates from our state should vote, but it was still fun.

Last thought...I hate to wake up in the morning and learn that there has been a terrorist attack somewhere in the world. It happens way too much. Turkey. Africa. Belgium. It breaks my heart.

No comments: