Sunday, March 27, 2016

#1638 Sunday stroll at Oquirrh Lake

First of all, I hope you all had a happy Easter!

Second, I'm up way past my bedtime tonight because I indulged myself with some serious binge watching of Gilmore Girls. I finished the second season tonight. Five more seasons to go and I'll be ready for the reunion!

My BFF LA was here yesterday. She came down to attend her niece's wedding and she spent the night with us. We went to lunch yesterday and did a little shopping. Well, she shopped and I walked around with her. This morning we chatted and then she went back to Pocatello. MT stayed home from the fixer upper today since it was Easter. T thought he had to work, but it turns out the sandwich shop was closed today, so the three of us were home at the same time. T has had a cold this weekend, so he was taking it easy, napping and watching TV.

For our Easter meal, I cooked a ham, made funeral potatoes (it's a Utah/Idaho thing), roasted asparagus and fixed deviled eggs. Not to brag, but everything was dang good. We ate early in the afternoon, around 1:30 or so, then the boys went to see Superman v. Batman movie. I had absolutely no interest in that movie, so I decided to go for a walk instead.

The other day I was thinking about walks I could take LA on while she was here, and I found this really great website from Intermountain Healthcare. There is a big list of walks and easy, moderate and difficult hikes to take in Utah. I'm not a real outdoorsy person, but I do like to be outside and I like to walk and I would enjoy walking in different places than around the track at work and around the track at the fitness center by my house. I would like to make a habit of finding new cool places to walk. Think of all the cool photo opportunities!

So while MT and T went to the movie, I decided to go for a walk around Oquirrh Lake in the Daybreak neighborhood. Daybreak is about half an hour from my house. I've never been there, but I thought it would be cool to see it. I really liked it. I drove directly to the lake, but I liked the looks of the houses I saw and I think it would be cool to live in the area. There were so many people out walking around or riding bikes. It looks like a really great place.

I forgot to turn on the Map My Walk program on my phone, but I think the trail around the lake is a couple of miles. The day was kind of gray and the wind was chilly, but I felt comfortable in shorts and a sweatshirt. I put my earbuds in, turned on 1989 by Taylor Swift and walked around for about 45 minutes, stopping now and then to take a few pics. Check it out:

view of Oquirrh Mountains through the bridge

view of the Wasatch Mountains

another view of the Oquirrhs
The lake is man-made and there is a big island in the middle of it. You can get to the island over a big bridge (top photo) or you can walk around the perimeter of the lake, which is what I did today.  You can ride a bike on the paved paths or walk. I saw kids on skateboards and scooters. There were lots of ducks and geese and seagulls in the lake. There is an area for fishing. There is a boat dock, but it's only accessible to Daybreak residents. There are lots of benches for sitting to enjoy the views of either the Wasatch Front or the Oquirrh Mountains. The views are pretty spectacular.

I really enjoyed my walk there. I think I would go back, but there are quite a few walks and easy hikes on that list that I would like to try before I go back to Oquirrh Lake.

All in all, I had a lovely weekend. Now it's nearly midnight, so I better post this and get to bed. Talk to you tomorrow!

No comments: