Tuesday, April 26, 2016

#1654 staying at home

When I write here, I try to be positive and upbeat and keep it cheery. That is not to say that everything is always great and wonderful. There are days when I feel really down or things happen that make me feel sad or bummed out.

On Friday we got the financial aid package from the university where T will be going in the fall. The package wasn't very good. I guess one way to look at it is that we made enough money and had enough in savings that the government didn't think T needed much help. I did not choose to look at it that way. I was really hoping that T could live up at the university his freshman year. I thought it would be cool for him to immerse himself in the college life in that way and I was hoping for some help in paying for housing, but it didn't work out. We can definitely get him into school and get books, but he will have to live at home.

I know. First world problem. Poor kid won't get to live in a dorm when his home is about half an hour to forty minutes away from campus. I know there are worse things.

The thing is that I feel like I let T down. I have been championing him living on campus. I feel like I got him excited about the prospect and pushed him to pick a dorm and a meal plan and everything. I told him how cool it would be to live there and meet people and get involved with campus life,  and when it comes down to it, I am the one who did not save up enough money to make it happen for him. That's tough for me handle in my brain and my heart. And that's just how I feel about it, right or wrong, stupid or not.

Anyway, I hope that he is still excited about going to college. I think he is. He has a terrible case of "senior-itis" at the moment. He is quite busy hanging out with his friends and going to parties on the weekends. He's only about a month away from high school graduation. But before that...prom! :)


~~~~~~

I finished this book! Check out the 2016 Reading List page.


1 comment:

Kteach said...

You did and are doing the very best. He's smart enough to realize it . And you know what I mean.