Friday, September 1, 2017

#1922 three things: football, vacation and Labor Day

I can't think of a better way to start the month than by writing about three things!

1. Football! Last night MT and I went to the season opening game of the University of Utah football. I hadn't been to a game since the school joined the PAC12, so it's been at least seven years. Utah football has always been popular here, and the stadium has had something like 47 consecutive sell-outs. The capacity is around 45,000 and there's lots of room for standing only, too, so it can fit another couple thousand in those areas. Last night there were almost 46,000 people there. Parking is an issue. The campus is built on a hill and doesn't have a lot of extra parking lots. We ended up parking at the hospital and walking down to the stadium, and then back up the hill after the game. It's about a mile and a half each way. Quite a trek!

I don't think MT cared much for the college football experience. He rated the "hassle factor" very high, and he doesn't do well with high hassle factors. Once we got to our seats, he was mostly all right. The Utes played North Dakota, which is a good team in the Big Sky Conference, but not a PAC12 caliber team so the Utes were expected to win and did so pretty easily. It wasn't a great game, but I thought it was fun to be in the stadium and get the whole experience. Plus the weather was superb. The temperature was just about perfect and there was a slight breeze so it was very pleasant to sit outside for a few hours. Overall, though, I enjoy football more while I'm sitting on my couch watching the game on my big TV.  Even though I was happy to be at the game, I did miss hearing the commentary. I could have listened to it on the Utah football radio app to get the play-by-play, but I didn't bring my earbuds. ;)

2. Vacation! August sure had it's ups and downs. I'm glad that month is over. I've been looking forward to September. We are going on vacation this month to the Outer Banks, North Carolina.We rented a big house that we will share with my sister, MT's brother and his wife, MT's mom and her two sisters and my sister-in-law's brother and his girlfriend. It's a sibling vacation! We've got a couple of weeks before the trip happens, so I'm not officially in pre-vacation mode, but I feel it coming.

3. Labor Day! It's fun to start the month with a three day weekend to celebrate Labor Day. MT's mom and stepdad, Linda and Jake, are here to visit. Tomorrow they will come up to Red Butte Garden to have a look around. On Sunday we are going to do some vacation clothes shopping at the outlet mall in Lehi. Not sure what we'll do on Monday. Linda and Jake will probably head home to Idaho and I'll be doing laundry and all the regular chores to get ready for the week. 

One last thing...since September is an odd number month, I'll be writing on odd number days :)




2 comments:

Kteach said...

I had no idea so many of you were going to SC, I thought it was just you, Lizzie, Marty, Kevin and Janet. Crazy!

Kteach said...

Oops! NC