Sunday, September 3, 2017

#1923 allergies and retail therapy

Last night I volunteered for a wedding at Red Butte Garden. You might think that being a wedding volunteer is a lovely magical thing, but the reality is that I don't have any contact with the actual wedding at all. My job is to sit by the gate and make sure only wedding guests come in to the garden, then I wish them a good night when they leave after the reception. You might think it's not a very good gig, but I would tell you the opposite. I enjoy it.

For one thing, it's quite peaceful. Usually the wedding ceremony is around 6:00. I get there between 6:30 and 7:00, so the guests have all arrived (unless they get lost), so there's not a lot for me to do. I chat with the other volunteer who drives the tram. Lately I've worked with a lovely lady named Trish and we talk about North Carolina, where she lived for many years. Most of the weddings have a cocktail hour and then dinner. Sometimes there is music. Last night there was a good jazz ensemble that played through the evening. The acoustics in the garden are very good, and I liked listening to the music.

When Trish takes the tram to the wedding site to pick up guests who are ready to leave, I play on my beloved iPhone. I put it away when people come along, but mostly I have plenty of time to check Facebook or Twitter or even to read a book. Last night I watched the last quarter of the BYU vs LSU football game. (BYU looked awful.)

When the sun goes down, the breeze turns cool as it comes down the canyon. Last night the breeze was particularly cool and full of something that triggered my allergies. I spent the last 90 minutes of my shift with itchy watery eyes, a runny nose and frequent sneezing. By the time I got home I could only breathe through my mouth. I was a mess. I took a generic Benedryl so I could get some good sleep. Benedryl works really well for me. I sleep like the dead. The bad part is waking up. I slept for 10 hours and had something I call a Benedryl hangover that includes dry mouth and overall out-of-it-ness.

Late this morning when I finally got up, MT and I went to breakfast with his parents, then we went out to Lehi to the outlet mall. MT and I love going to the Columbia store. There was a big Labor Day sale going on and everything was 25 - 40% off. MT just bought a belt, but I bought four t-shirts, some capris, a sweatshirt and a winter coat, all for just over $200. For every $100 we spent, we got a $25 gift card that can be used next month, so we have $50 to spend there in October. YAY! MT wants to get a groovy coat like mine. Linda and I went into the Clarks shoe store. There was a sale in there: buy one pair, get another pair for $20. We each got a pair of shoes and split the cost.

Shopping made my Benedryl hangover go away. MT said I looked cute when I was spending money. I'd be happy to show him how cute I can be at the car store. ;)

Jake and Linda left after our shopping spree. Since then I have been reading and napping and as T would say, just chillin'. I'm glad I have all day tomorrow to do stuff around the house.

OH! HEY! Check out the 2017 Reading List page. I updated it with all the books I've read since I took my blog sabbatical.

No comments: