Friday, October 20, 2017

#1940 foodie Friday: cooking on Sunday

Because I go to the gym on most weeknights, I don't spend a lot of time cooking during the week. It makes me feel kinda bad when MT has to fend for himself. I know I shouldn't - he is a grown-ass man who can feed himself, but some traditional female roles die hard. Aside from feeling bad for MT, though, I feel bad for me too because then I don't have leftovers to take for lunch the next day. (I do want to say the MT does NOT complain about my going to the gym. He is very supportive and cool about it. He hasn't ever said anything about food; there is always something to eat in our house.)

The other thing is that I often enjoy cooking and I have missed it, so last weekend I decided to make three dishes in bulk that we could all enjoy throughout the week. It took a couple of hours, but it has been well worth it!

We love tacos and they are on the menu regularly, so I cooked up a couple of pounds of taco meat. MT has used it for salads and burritos and I have had tacos for breakfast at least twice this week. I cooked so much meat that I was able to freeze some, also, so when we are ready for tacos again in another week or so, we already have meat all cooked and ready to heat.

T really likes pasta, so I cooked up a big pot of salsa verde chicken pasta. I found the recipe on Pinterest and if you click the link, it will take you right to kevinandamanda.com to the recipe. It is easy, creamy, cheesy and with just the right amount of heat to make it taste really good. T had two or three meals of it; I took some for lunch one day, and I know MT had some too. I have made this recipe before and I knew it was a good one, so I was happy to make it again.

I also tried a new recipe on Sunday; I made beef empanadas. My mom makes delicious tuna empanadas and I have made those before, but I was looking for something a little different. Plus I was cooking ground beef, so I wanted to use some of it in the empanadas. I found the recipe on Pinterest, but if you click here, you'll go directly to the Neighbor Food blog that has the recipe. I've only ever made the empanadas like my mom does, so this was my first try with beef and pie crust. They came out kind of small, but flavorful and filling and really good.  took some for lunches this week along with a salad and I was really pleased with them.

Cooking on Sunday worked out well for me, so I think I'll do it again this weekend. I'll probably only make a couple of dishes, though. Another pasta dish would be great, and I think a soup or a chili because the weather has definitely cooled off considerably, and soup or chili sounds great. OOH! I have some chicken in the fridge that I need to cook. I'm thinking I'm going to poach it, then shred it and season it up and make some chicken empanadas this weekend! Maybe buffalo chicken empanadas?!

Maybe I will be making three dishes again!

1 comment:

Kteach said...

I'm going to try those recipes, they sound good! I Never thought of using pie dough for empanadas.