Saturday, May 19, 2018

#2045 the royal wedding

I was up at 4:30 this morning, just in time to see Prince Harry and Prince William arrive at the church for Harry's wedding to Meghan Markle.

Some may think it ridiculous that I would get up so early on a Saturday morning to watch the royal wedding. It's true that the wedding has absolutely no bearing or relevance to my life and why should I care? I'm not British. I had never heard of Meghan Markle before she became involved with Prince Harry. For some reason, though, I really like all of it: the monarchy, William and Kate, Harry and Meghan, the whole royal thing.

I think what it comes down to for me is the fairy tale aspect of it all. Not the she's a divorced bi-racial American and she found her prince thing. It's more about a man, who happens to be a prince, falling in love with a beautiful lady and she loves him back and they get married on the grounds of a real castle and they both looked gorgeous and happy and in love and people cheered when they said "I will" and the Archbishop of Canterbury (for God's sake more fairy tale stuff!) pronounced them husband and wife and people cheered again. Then they went for a ride in an open carriage through the village and people cheered and waved flags and she was wearing a tiara and he was in a military uniform.

That's fairy tale shit, people, and it was real! It was really happening in another part of the world. I was all about it. I was crying and smiling and loving every bloody minute.

I was on Twitter during the festivities, commenting and reading some of what people were saying. I don't understand what makes people get on a social media platform and say shitty things. I read more than one comment that said "I don't give a crap about this royal wedding" and I thought, then why would you go on Twitter and use the hashtag and waste your time saying you don't care? There were other snarky comments that just made me feel kinda yucky. Not cool.

This morning there weren't as many people at the WW meeting as there usually are. Leader Lana wondered where everyone was. I suggested they might be watching the wedding (even though it was over.) One of the other members, a woman I like hearing from, groaned and said, "Oh my God. Who cares about that stupid thing?" A few people laughed. I didn't respond, but the truth is that I care, I guess. I'm interested enough to get up early and watch the whole event. It doesn't make me silly or crazy. Like I said, I like the fairy tale aspect of it all.

It was all lovely.


No comments: