Monday, May 21, 2018

#2046 a wet walk

I went up to Red Butte Garden this evening after work to record blooms. I've been going on Thursday, but this Thursday is MT's birthday, so we're going to hang out. Tonight was the best night for me to go. It was warm and partly cloudy with a little breeze, so it was pretty much perfect weather.

After recording all the blooms I could find in the Children's Garden, I decided to take a walk around the rest of the place. Why wouldn't I? The clouds had gathered and there were some sprinkles, but nothing uncomfortable or too wet.

I made my way up to the top of the Water Conservation Garden. I stopped to look at the sky over to the south over the Wasatch Mountains. It was dark gray with big fat dark thunderclouds. Behind me, to the north, the sun was shining, so it was quite the dichotomy of weather.

About that time a super-cute gardener rolled up on his cool cart thing. He saw me looking up at the sky and said, "It's fresh up here, isn't it?" I said, "Yeah and I think we're about to get wet." He nodded just as the sprinkles started getting bigger and more frequent. Pretty soon it was pouring. I was making my way down the mountain, but I was getting good and wet. I'm glad there wasn't any lightning as I was walking - that started when I was in my car.

Silver lining: it smelled awesome up there!

As I drove down into the valley, the rain that was so heavy on the east side tapered out as I got to the middle of the valley. Over here where I live on the west side, it wasn't raining at all.

The moral of this story is that if you don't like the weather where you are in Salt Lake City, drive to another part of the valley and you'll probably find what you are looking for.

No comments: