Wednesday, September 19, 2018

#2094 catching up

It feels like the seasons are in transition over here. In the morning, the air is cool; I need a light jacket when I leave for work. When I leave work in the afternoon, it's warm and I have to turn on the AC in Jack the Sexy Beast. (That's what I call my car.) Tonight when I went to gym at 6:30, the sun was shining brightly and it was pleasantly warm. When I left class at 8:00, it was dark and much cooler than when I went into the gym.

I love the change!


MT is healing. His back still hurts, especially at the end of the day. That makes sense because I don't really think he has been taking it as easy as he should, but I could be wrong. He is making all kinds of noises about how he is going to change the way he does things and go to the gym and hire a trainer and work on strengthening his back.

I guess we'll see.



I went to see Billy Idol in concert on Monday. When I got my concert volunteer schedule and saw that I got to work that show, I was excited! Usually when I work at a show, I claim a patch of grass and I sit or stand and enjoy the music. For Billy Idol, though, I planned to try to get up near the front by the stage. There's a standing area on the east side of the stage and I was able to get a prime spot right at the rail during the opening act and thanks to my stand-up desk at work, standing there for hours was not a problem at all. The only person in front of me was Billy's guitar player, Steve Stevens.

The show was just all right for me. I was hoping that Billy would do his whole greatest hits album, but he didn't. Of course he played "Rebel Yell" and "White Wedding". He played "Mony Mony"  and "Eyes Without a Face" and "Dancing with Myself" but he also played a whole slew of songs I didn't know at all. No "Hot in the City". No "Cradle of Love". No "Flesh for Fantasy".

Billy is no longer the lean, sexy punkish dude he was 27 years ago, but then, who is? He's still has the blond spiky hair. He's thick but not fat. He was pleased to remove his shirt several times and I was in a good position to see that there was no extra meat hanging over that belt buckle. He doesn't jump around like he used to, but again, he's 62 now and I would expect him to have slowed down a bit. He sounded good, as growly and gravelly as ever. He seemed like he was having a good time and he was quite generous, tossing all kinds of things out into the crowd. Not in my direction, but that's okay.

Overall, I'd say I had fun, but my expectations were too high. He probably couldn't have lived up to what I thought I was gonna get no matter what.



Monday night's concert was the final show at Red Butte Garden for the season. There were 30 shows and I worked at 10 of them and had tickets for another three. Good times! I calculated my volunteer hours for those 10 shows and it was nearly 38 hours. Nice!

Volunteer time isn't quite over yet. Saturday will be the final docent gig of the season. The complimentary trams stop running at the end of September, but the last Saturday of the month is the fall plant sale which is held in the Courtyard, so no tram, no docent.

Weddings are still happening. I'm volunteering at a wedding on Saturday night and then back-to-back weddings on Sunday evening/night. I think I have another one on October 7. That might be the last one at the Rose House because Garden After Dark (GAD) starts on October 19 and the roses will be done blooming too. There are six nights of GAD: Thursday, Friday and Saturday the two weeks before Halloween. I hope I can get at least two nights of GAD. It's really fun and the theme this year is gonna be lit yo! More on that later.


I'm feeling pretty good. T is doing well. I talked about MT. Osi is fine too. My work is steady and fine. We are gearing up for budget time, so that's interesting. I have contacted my travel agent about working with me to plan and book the trip to Thailand. I've got quite a trip planned in my head, so we'll see what actually works out.


I think that's all I got tonight. Take care of yourselves!

No comments: