Friday, September 21, 2018

#2095 I'm ready to cook

I mentioned the other day that the seasons are changing and I find myself looking at and for recipes on Pinterest. I want to cook!

Earlier this year I bought myself a cast iron skillet. I was a little worried about taking care of it and cleaning it properly, but that hasn't been an issue. In fact, it's great because it forces me to clean it up when I'm done cooking. I can't just leave it to soak (hello rust). The beautiful thing is that it might be the easiest pan to clean that I've ever had. I run hot water in it, but you don't put soap in it. I will run a washcloth over it to get out bits of food, then I dry it with a paper towel, put a little bit of oil in it, rub the oil all around the skillet and that's it. I keep it out on my stove top and I use it quite a bit.

There are about a jillion recipes out there for things you can make in a cast iron skillet. I want to try cornbread, regular bread, pizza, skillet chocolate chip cookie...there's more but I can't think of them right now. Really you can cook just about anything you make in a different pan in a cast iron skillet, with the added bonus that you can put the skillet in the oven too. It's pretty great.

I've got a lot of volunteer time lined up for myself this weekend, so cooking won't be happening anytime soon. I'll have to get back to you with my culinary creations!

Happy weekend!

1 comment:

mamamcita said...

Looking forward to good home cooking in December! :)