Wednesday, January 9, 2019

#2152 tough days for Osi

My sweet dog Osi suffers from epilepsy which causes her to have seizures. She takes anti-seizure medications, which I have found delay the seizures. She will go for many weeks without having any seizures, but they seem to build up and then she will have a series of episodes that will last two to three days, with about four seizures or so each day. The thing is that I can't tell when the seizures will come or how long they will last or how severe they will be. Even if I did, there isn't anything I can do to prevent them or to make them less traumatic for any of us, including the dog. All I can do is pet her and talk to her and help her recover as well as I can.

The seizure cycle started on Sunday and it seems like her last one was last night (Tuesday). Today she is very quiet, hasn't eaten much and is mostly sleeping. I think the episodes take a lot out of her. I know they are tough on me too. It seems like she has most of her seizures in the middle of the night, maybe because it's quiet and she is resting.

When she starts seizing, my "mom hearing" kicks in. Even if I'm sound asleep I will wake right up and go find her. Lately the seizure and the after-seizure time has been lasting about an hour. Sunday night there were two seizures that I got up for, so I only had about four hours of sleep. She had one before I went to bed, so I got to bed late. She also had one before I left for work. Monday was rough for me.

Osi is the nicest, sweetest dog you would ever find. Her sickness makes me feel so sad.

2 comments:

josefa wann said...

She's such a sweet beautiful dog. I know it's hard on you and on her and you are doing all you can and she is much loved. Love you both.

Lizzie said...

such a sweet girl
and you're awesome for how you take care of her