Thursday, September 13, 2012

#765 what we have in common

A couple of months ago I wrote about T's collection habits. At that time, it was DVDs. He still likes movies a whole bunch, and we usually get a new DVD or blu-ray once a week or so. But there's a new love in his life, one that I've been trying to cultivate for years, but as usual, T does everything on his own time. What he's into right now is music.(YAY!)

I can't even tell you how much money he's spent on iTunes getting every song by the artists he likes. The music he really likes right now is Green Day. He has also going through a lengthy rap phase, in which he discovered his love for Eminem, Kanye West, and Jay-Z. He also loves Drake.

There are some old songs he's getting into. From seeing the preview of the film Flight, T now loves the song Gimme Shelter by the Rolling Stones. (That is also one of my favorite songs.) From the preview of the film Argo, he's digging the Aerosmith classic Dream On.

Before any of the rap or Green Day came along, T liked Maroon 5. I think he may have a little man-crush on Adam Levine. Really, who can blame him? In T's words, "Adam Levine is attractive dude." Now, for my pleasure, here's a cute pic of Adam:







I don't really blame the kid for getting into music. I was probably his age when I started getting really into music, too. Back then, I was addicted to American Top 40 with Casey Kasem. Remember that? Because I am a list-making nerd, I made a list of the each week top 40. The radio station that I listened to the countdown on always had a question about the show during the top 10 songs. I always, always knew the answer. The prize was an album from a local record store. I won the prize many times in a row. I was at that record store every week for six or eight weeks until the radio station people told me I couldn't play anymore. (They really did!) They told me I could only win once a month or something.

T and I also have something else in common: we learn the words to songs. You might be thinking, "Well duh!" but not everyone does that. For example, when MT hears a song, he doesn't really hear the words. He just hears the music. I don't think I have ever heard MT burst into song. T and I, on the other hand, will burst into song at any given moment. Just about anything will set us off. We've got a song for nearly every occasion. I love that about my son. The first time I heard him spontaneously burst into song, it brought a tear to my eye.

This year T is in the show choir at his school. He had to audition for the part, and I was so proud that he made it! He says he was sure he'd get in because there aren't many boys who tried out, but still. They had their first performance today. They sang and danced to Don't Stop Believin' by Journey. Oh Glee, thanks for bringing Journey to a new generation. By the way, that song was on the album Escape, and that was one of the LPs I got from my radio station winning.

Speaking of Glee, did you watch the season premier tonight? I love Glee! I thought the episode was good. I like the new people, especially Kate Hudson. I really like her; she's pretty. She was so supremely bitchy and beautiful in the episode, I can't wait for more!





Well, this post has kind of been all over the place. I didn't know what to write about when I first sat down. T suggested I write about his musical likes and then it just took off from there.

~~~

One more thing...to follow up from yesterday, I didn't have to chose between Dan and Kelly this morning. After I took T to school, I came home and went back to bed. I got home around 7:30 and I slept until 10:30. I must have been plain wore out and needed the rest. The body always knows best.

Good night!


No comments: