Friday, September 14, 2012

#766 the books I'm reading and how I spend my days

It's quite rare for me to read more than one book at a time. It gets too confusing for me to have several different stories going on simultaneously. But get this: right now, I am reading three books. Crazy! What happened is this...I got a free book for my Nook from Barnes & Noble during Free Book Friday. I'd seen the book either at the library or at the bookstore. It's called All Roads Lead to Austen and it's about the writer's journey through Central and South America in which she visits six countries and discusses Jane Austen's books with reading groups in each of the countries. The first country she went to was Guatemala, and they discussed Pride and Prejudice.

The Jane Austen thing lead me to want to read some Austen, so I started with her first book, one I've never read, Sense and Sensibility. (I have seen the movie many times, though.) I got S & S in a collection of books for my Nook that I purchased for 99 cents. There are 25 classic novels in that collection. By the way, I bought the collection before we went on vacation.

I was happily switching off between reading Jane and reading about people reading Jane, when T needed to go to the library. I told myself I wouldn't get anything since I was happy with the books I am reading, but I just couldn't help myself. There was the latest novel by Jennifer Weiner, and even though Mom said it wasn't very good, I've read all of Jennifer's books, so how could I pass up this one?

There was also a book with a nice name and a beautiful cover in the Reader's Choice area called Say You'll Be Mine by Julia Amante. It's a story about a woman who owns a vineyard in California who is suddenly called back to her native Argentina when she is named guardian of her cousin's children after the cousin is killed in a skiing accident. I'm hooked.

So right now, I am switching off between the book set in Argentina, the book set in South and Central America (I think Argentina is one of her stops!) and a book set in Victorian England.

I actually haven't read as much as I thought I would during this convalescent time off from work. I really can't believe how quickly the days pass by. I don't even really spend that much time playing games on FB - I usually reserve that for night-time. What do I do with my days?

This morning I was up by 6:15. I put some heat on my knee, then did some stretches. I took T to school, then went to the gym where I walked about one half of a mile around the track (six laps) and rode the stationary bike for about 17 minutes. I came home, iced the knee and ate breakfast while flipping back and forth between Dan and Kelly. I took a shower. I did play games on my computer. I worked on my work computer. I picked T up from school. I did more stretches and rode the bike at home. I iced my knee and watched a little TV and read. I took T to Panda Express so he could get some food. MT came home and we got some Mexican food from Cafe Rio. T and I watched Ferris Bueller's Day Off. I played games on my computer and now I'm writing and it's nearly 11 PM.

Actually, that is a pretty typical pattern for most of my days. I watch TV when I ice the knee and usually in the evenings, too. I read when I ride my bike or after I've eaten and I'm just sitting at the table, and always before I turn out the lights to go to sleep.

Speaking of sleep, it's time for that now. Good night! Have a great weekend!

No comments: