Sunday, March 2, 2014

#1122 Oscar time!



Tonight is Oscar night, when Hollywood gives out it's beautiful golden statue to worthy actors, actresses, directors and producers for their work on the year's best films. I LOVE to watch the awards shows, and the Oscars are my favorite. I love to see what people are wearing and to cheer for my favorite performers and movies. Plus, my friend Ellen is hosting the show and she's awesome.

In past years, I have challenged myself to try to see every movie nominated for Best Picture. It was easier when there was only five films. This year there are nine films; I've seen three of them. That won't stop me from giving you my take on who I would like to see win and who I think will actually win in the five of the categories.

Let's start with Best Actor in a Supporting Role. The nominees are:

Barkhad Abdi - Captain Phillips
Bradley Cooper - American Hustle
Michael Fassbender - 12 Years a Slave
Jonah Hill - The Wolf of Wall Street
Jared Leto - Dallas Buyers Club

I've seen three of these performances (Barkhad, Bradley, Jonah). I thought Jonah Hill was terrific in The Wolf of Wall Street. He was funny and kind of creepy and not really Jonah Hill-like at all. I hope he wins. My gut tells me that Jared Leto will win, though. He is a gorgeous man who dressed up like a woman. It seems like the Academy likes that kind of stretch. 

Best Actress in a Supporting Role:

Sally Hawkins - Blue Jasmine
Jennifer Lawrence - American Hustle
Lupita Nyong'o - 12 Years a Slave
Julia Roberts - August: Osage County
June Squibb - Nebraska

I have seen two of the nominated performances (Sally and Jennifer) and I thought both actresses were very good. I would like to see Jennifer Lawrence win just because I love her. Whenever she was on the screen in American Hustle, I couldn't take my eyes off her. But Sally Hawkins was fantastic, too, as the trod-upon sister in Blue Jasmine. I don't think it will matter, though, because I think that Lupita Nyong'o is the darling this year.

Best Actor in a Leading Role:

Christian Bale - American Hustle
Bruce Dern - Nebraska
Leonardo DiCaprio - The Wolf of Wall Street
Chewitel Ejiofor - 12 Years a Slave
Matthew McConaughey - Dallas Buyers Club

I saw American Hustle and The Wolf of Wall Street. I thought Leo was fantastic. He should win. The scene when he's on 'ludes at the country club and has to get back out to his car is a very impressive display of physical comedy acting. I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it in a big movie like this. I think the Academy will choose Ejiofor or maybe McConaughey. Just a feeling. GIVE LEO THE OSCAR!!

Best Actress in a Leading Role:

Amy Adams - American Hustle
Cate Blanchett - Blue Jasmine
Sandra Bullock - Gravity
Judi Dench - Philomena
Meryl Streep - August: Osage County

This is the only category where who I think will win is also who I think the Academy chose. Cate Blanchett was phenomenal in Blue Jasmine.

Best Picture

American Hustle
Captain Phillips
Dallas Buyers Club
Gravity 
Her
Nebraska
Philomena
12 Years a Slave
The Wolf of Wall Street
 
As I've said, I have seen three of these films: American Hustle, Captain Phillips, and The Wolf of Wall Street. I'm not gonna lie to you - none of them really blew me away. There have been years when I've seen a movie and believed that it really was the best film I had seen that year. I don't think I saw the best film of 2013, but I really want to. I think 12 Years a Slave will win Best Picture. I know that my son will disagree with me because he loved The Wolf of Wall Street and I know he is hoping for that film to win. I think he'll be disappointed, though. 

Let's get back together tomorrow to discuss, ok?
 

No comments: