Tuesday, April 8, 2014

#1155 Bob's Skinny Rules

One night (or morning or afternoon) I was browsing through Pinterest and I saw this list of The Skinny Rules - 20 non-negotiable rules for getting thin put together by celebrity trainer Bob Harper. You know Bob. He's one of the trainers from The Biggest Loser. He seems like the nice one. It has been awhile since I've watched the show, and after reading his rules, I'm not all that sure he is nice at all.

Some of the rules seem sound and do-able. Drink a glass of water before every meal. I could do that. I understand that it will take up space in your tummy and make you feel full so maybe you don't eat as much. Don't drink your calories? I've heard that before. Soda has a lot of calories. So does fruit juice. Make one day a week meatless. That's probably ok and I could probably even pull that one off.

Some of the other rules just made me feel sad. No carbs after lunch. Um, what? Get rid of those white potatoes. I'm an Idaho girl! I love white potatoes in all of their various delicious ways of cooking them! Get rid of fast food and fried foods.  Is that even possible?


Still, Bob seems like a guy who knows stuff. I decided the best thing to do was to read his book, The Skinny Rules. I almost bought the ebook (I have gift cards!) but because I'm pretty cheap, I just went to the library.

The first part of the book talks about the Rules and the science behind the Rule. It's fairly interesting, but he has a lot of info that is sort of scary. I know that obesity causes many other health problems and you should be concerned about what those problems will do to your body and your life.  It kind of turned me off, though. I mean, I was buying what he was saying and then he got preachy. Scare tactics and absolutes make me feel rebellious, even though the only person I'm really rebelling against is myself.

I have read through Rule 14. I'm sure I'll have more to say about these Rules as I go along.

After the Rules, he gives some menus and some recipes that will help you follow the Rules. He's written a second book, Jumpstart to Skinny. that I may take a look at after I finish this book.

My own jury is still out on the Rules. I think that what he says makes sense, but I also know that I live in a family that may not be as excited about lentils and farro as Bob thinks they should be. MT eats sandwiches every day for lunch and he has told me that he likes white bread, not wheat. He acknowledges that wheat bread is better for his body, but he doesn't like it.

So...the bottom line for me is to learn what I can learn, implement some ideas into my lifestyle and take care of myself as best as I can. I'm still doing the Weight Watchers plan and they advocate eating fresh foods - not processed foods. I like that WW is realistic about it. They know that people will eat french fries and as long as you account for those fries, you'll be ok.

I have to say that I've fat and thin(ner) and fat again and I liked thinner better. For whatever reason, I seem to be having some trouble finding my willpower and making good choices. One day, and one meal, at a time, right?