Wednesday, February 18, 2015

#1372 a long day at work

I wasn't in the office today, but I did spend 10 hours at work. There's one day a year at my job that is pretty much the most difficult day to get through, and this year, today was that day: MSHA training day.

Even though I work in the office, there are times when I need to go out to one of our plant sites. Our plants are technically mining operations, specifically metal/non-metal mines. Safety at mining sites is overseen by MSHA which stands for Mine Safety and Health Administration. We are required by MSHA to have a 10-hour refresher training every year. I receive a form that says I have completed my training and I have to carry the form with me whenever I am at a plant site in case an MSHA inspector is onsite and asks me for it. I have been at the plants when an inspector is onsite, but I haven't been asked for my documentation.

What makes the day so difficult is that we are in a big conference room with no windows. You can't really get up too much and walk around, although we do take breaks. The topics are interesting and the safety department does a good job of keeping the training interactive, but generally what they are talking about does not apply to my daily job in the office. It does give me a gigantic appreciation for the hazards and risks that the guys at the plant take on every day. Road construction and mining operations can be a damn scary business. People can die or get seriously injured. It's sobering to hear about the fatalities that happen around the country (not necessarily at my company though) and to know that guys I know are doing the type of work that caused those fatalities and injuries.

So yes, I know it's worthwhile and it's eye-opening for me, but it is still a long, long day. The truth is that it's a long, long day for every one of us. Those field guys hear the same thing every single day. At least I'm used to sitting on my ass for 8 - 10 hours a day. It must be even worse for them! :)

And now, I'm on vacation! Just for a few days to go visit my parents and my sister, but it will be nice to get away and spend some time looking at the flowers and enjoying their companionship!

~~~

I just finished this book! Please check out the 2015 Reading List page.

No comments: