Thursday, May 7, 2015

#1430 TBT goooooooooooooooal!


My friend Kelsie has two little boys who play soccer. Her boys are young: C will be six in June and B turned four in January. The boys play on different teams and their teams are three-on-three. Kelsie is a good mom and helps with the teams and even coaches the little kids.

T played soccer when he was little, but he started when he was six or seven. He didn't play three-on-three; there were always lots of kids on the field and it was big for how small they were. T didn't love soccer. The first season he sat on my lap and cried and didn't even want to go on the field. He eventually warmed up to it, but after he played a few years, he was ready to be done with it.

Because he didn't have a passion for the game, he wasn't really interested in scoring or even getting many touches. I resorted to bribing him to get him involved in the game. I'm not proud of admitting this, but it did work and T was a better player when he knew there was something in it for him (a dollar, a toy) if he really tried hard.

Today's photo commemorates the day that T scored a goal. It was a lovely spring day. The sky was blue and the air was warm. We had our chairs out near the mid-field line so we had a good view. Honestly, it happened nine years ago so I don't remember all the details, but I do remember T kicking the ball in the goal. He looked so thrilled. I'm pretty sure I screamed and maybe had a tear in my eye. When he came running over to me, he looked so happy and so proud of himself that I had to take a photo to capture the joy.


Oh my gosh. I love this kid! Then and now :)

1 comment:

Pappy1 said...

bad1dad2I enjoyed going to see T play. Defense offense didn't matter. Just get in there and kick.